A Conversation for M2M2 - Coming Out

So how does this whole coming out thing work, then?

Post 1

echomikeromeo

I see no one has posted to this page for a while, but I've wandered by in search of advice.

Over a period of months, I've come to the decision that I'm bi. Now, I feel this is probably something people like my good friends and maybe my family ought to know, but how to go about doing it? One's sexual orientation doesn't necessarily work itself easily into the conversation.

And is it even something that people should know or need to know? I feel that my orientation is part of who I am, but it's not like the sex/gender of the people I have crushes on is going to make a huge difference in the scheme of things.

So... any advice here?


So how does this whole coming out thing work, then?

Post 2

HonestIago

I think the first time with family and friends does have to be an event, unfortunately. When you've done it a few times to different groups it becomes easier to drop it into casual conversation (and it can become kinda fun) but the first time you can't really do this.

>>I feel that my orientation is part of who I am, but it's not like the sex/gender of the people I have crushes on is going to make a huge difference in the scheme of things<<

smiley - applause It took me ages to figure this out. I guess the relevent thing is, it isn't really a big deal, not that important to anyone else but it feels like if you don't tell people, you're keeping some sort of secret and that sucks, especially when its people you love and care about.

Just tell them as bluntly as you can is my advice, but remind them of everything else they know about you and all your awesome things, and how none of that has changed.

Congratulations on being so sorted with it all and good luck

smiley - rainbow Iago


So how does this whole coming out thing work, then?

Post 3

echomikeromeo

Thanks, Iago.smiley - smiley I dunno why I'm so nervous about this, really; my family and friends are all reasonably tolerant and not likely to flip.

I actually told my best friend a few days ago - she is also bi and that made it a bit easier. Her advice, though, was 'don't do dumb shit'.smiley - laugh


So how does this whole coming out thing work, then?

Post 4

HonestIago

It's something you never really lose your nervousness about (or at least I neever have) no matter how confident you are about it.

As I said, I've managed to turn coming out into a sort of game for my own amusement - because I don't fit any sort of stereotype, it surprises people when I come out to them and I can usually have a laugh at their reactions, it's kinda cute - the look of realisation as they figure out the meaning of what I just said, but even with that there can be a moment of nerves. It's odd, I'm completely happy with my sexuality, I'm completely out and I'm normally not concerned with people's reactions but I still get them.

>>Her advice, though, was 'don't do dumb shit'<<

smiley - laugh Good advice that.

Good luck with telling the parents - moms usually take the news the best, and your sound cool so you'll be fine.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more