Australian TV Shows

15 Conversations

A pair of Australian TV stars, framed in a TV screen.

We might not like to admit it, but many of us have found ourselves addicted to Australian TV shows in our time (although not, it has to be said, our Australian readers. Funny, that). Many of us can admit to the late-night guilty pleasures of watching Prisoner Cell Block H and in turn laughing and cringing at the ludicrous plots coupled with the quite shocking violence.

Perhaps you're of the right age to be watching soaps like Neighbours and Home and Away right now If you work 9-5 you've probably grown out of the habit, but you might still remember the early days of Ramsay Street with Scott and Charleen (or 'Kylie and Jason' as pop music fans will remember then), and perhaps you remember the original Pippa from Summer Bay?

Yes, this week, we return to those eternally sunny and ever-so heartwarming shows from Down Under. Tell us:

  • Which are the best shows to come out of Australia?

  • What were the best settings - a seaside resort, a suburban close, a run-down children's home?

  • Who are the stars of Aussie TV? And why are so many of them now working with American accents?

  • Do you have any particular favourite storylines? Which show was the most outrageous and which the most true to life?

  • Is it possible to visit the locations of the shows? Where is the real Erinsborough or Summer Bay?

  • What are the forgotten or underexposed shows? Is anyone out there old enough to tell us something about obese cop Bluey? How about the original Skippy?

We'd love it if all of these contributions could help towards an Edited Entry on this subject some time in the future, so get your memory hat on and tell us everything you can remember.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2873054

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more