A Conversation for Talking Point: Social Networking Sites

Maybe a Social Caterpillar??

Post 1

FordsTowel

Are you a virtual social butterfly? Or do you cringe at the thought of airing your personal details to the world? We'd love to know...
smiley - towelI enjoy talking with people; in person, on the phone, even through email. It's strange, then, that I don't have a 'social networking site', or desire one. The details bit could be part of it. A certain level of anonymity is fun in itself.

Are you a member of any social networking sites? If so, which ones - and when and why did you join them?
smiley - towelNo.

Does the data collection element of such sites concern you?
smiley - towelOh, it would, it would.

Are you surrounded by people at work who constant check their Facebook or MySpace account?
smiley - towelDunno?! Don't think so; we're too busy talking!

What do you think about the 'proactive friend hunting' behaviour particularly prevalent on MySpace?
smiley - towelNew term for me; but, if I've sussed it, I'd probably be put off by it. I have what I term a 'healthy paranoia' when it comes to people who 'simply must get to know me'.

Have you ever felt pressured to sign up to a social networking site? Or have you ever pressured someone else to do so?
smiley - towelNo, and No. Don't think that I'd be sensitive to the pressure, even if it were there. And, I certainly don't pressure others to do things contrary to their natures.

Do you know anyone whose online communication is done mainly through social networking sites?
smiley - towelNot to my knowledge.

What other web technologies do you use to interact with online? Messaging? Chat? Forums? Blogs? Discussion groups?
smiley - towelEmail, the occasional focussed forum, or hootoo (of coursesmiley - biggrin)

If you were to set up your own social networking site, what angle would it take? What would it be called and what special services would you offer?
smiley - towelHmmm,...!
Probably some favorites lists, like music, books, movies, tv shows.
Maybe critiques of works and/or perfrmances.
Insights on critical thinking and the general lack of it in the media.
Perhaps share some of the expertise I've built.
Write more humour.

Maybe I should check a couple of them out to see if they have anything to interest me.smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel


Maybe a Social Caterpillar??

Post 2

The H2G2 Editors

smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more