A Conversation for Talking Point: Social Networking Sites

Social networking site? Why, h2g2 of course!

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

When and why I joined?

June 2000, delighted to find fellow fans of DNA (U42) with a twisted sense of humour and a penchant for role playing - in plain text! Gotta love them!smiley - love

Facebook? MySpace? What's that?smiley - huh

Seriously though, the one thing that put me off Facebook right to begin with was that I couldn't watch the link I got from a friend without registering. That is actually one of the things I love about h2g2, even though one tends to forget it at times - that anyone can read everything on this site, whether registered or not. If I hadn't been able to have a sneak preview of the h2g2 conversation threads, I'm not sure I would have become a researcher at all.

Have I ever felt pressured to sign up to a site?

Nope - pressure tends to have the opposite effect on me, making me resist with the stubborness of a mule.

Do I know anyone whose online communcation is done mainly through social networking sites?

Eh... that'd be me...smiley - blush I recently waded through a backlog of 500+ postings just to catch up with my h2g2 friends' doings after having returned after three weeks of vacation.

So far, I've only come across one other site where the members have organised meets - but on a much smaller scale than most h2g2 meets.


Key: Complain about this post

Social networking site? Why, h2g2 of course!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more