A Conversation for Edward Van Halen

Peer Review: A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 1

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

Entry: Edward Van Halen - A2831320
Author: The_Jon_m - SQRT (7!+1) - (5^2+4) = 42, scout (??!), thank you John A3189512 - U204330

hello peeps, feel free to rip apart


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

Hi Jon!

Just found a few typoos:

Halen were spotted up Kiss bassist > spotted by

origanlly had > originally

and became wrote many of the unwritten rules > ????

which put pay to > paid

of this cricket batshaped guitars > cricket bat shaped guitar?

reshaped slighly > slightly

Pevey > Peavey? Not sure about this one though....

In footnote 8: statocaster > stratocaster

Apart from that, great; I like the way you've avoided a fawning tone like most people do when faced with this kind of undertaking!

smiley - ok


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 3

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Peavey


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 4

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Mamouth = Mammoth

Mark Stone

Kramer (owned by Gibson) = (now owned by Gibson)

Another Gibson owned company = Another currently owned by Gibson company

Music Man, owned by Ernie Ball the guitar string maker = Music Man, owned by the late Ernie Ball the string maker, and once associated with Leo Fender,

"Eruption" was only a mystery to the uneducated. George Van Eps had perfected the tapping gimmick back in the late forties. He also introduced the seven string guitar as a standard instrument.

I have my doubts about the patented dropped D string thingie. Items like that have been around for quite awhile. Music Man used to have one on one of their basses.

Eddie also had a strong association with Peavey's amplifiers. The 5150 series of amps (named after his home studio) are more popular than the guitars. The Wolfgang guitar is named after Eddie and Valerie's son.

Legend and interviews have it that Eddie often tuned his guitars in concert and in the studio to the nearest chord, rather than standard tuning. His experiences with the vagaries of the wang bar lead him to often improvise around the most untuned strings, as even the Floyd Rose was never as dependable as the Steinburger Transtrem.

Eddie also had an odd habit of rarely casing his instruments.


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 5

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Sorry: for thos of us who have little interest in rock, what's a 'capo'?


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 6

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

I've seen drop D things for basses, not for guitars, it is possible to get a patent on just a guitar variation I suppose.

Its odd though, cause more people on the net say he has a patent for the drop D thing, but no amount of serching can get me the number (I work in patents, so can serch these stuff fairly easily) however the guiar sipport isn't well known, but is easy enough to find if you look hard enough.

done corrections, will look up on the amps and tuning stuff


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 7

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Just a query on the title - surely this should be 'Eddie Van Halen'? I know his legal strapline says 'Edward', but that's not how he's popularly know, is it? Actually 'Eddie Van Halen - Rock Music Legend' would cover it nicely.

Also, in the first paragraph, the first mention of Van Halen could do with being preceded by 'the band', just so that newcomers to the subject don't get confused. And there's a sentence missing, I think, after the first paragraph. You're writing about the band, then you start writing about a man with the same surname as the band. It needs some kind of bridge to say that 'their success was down to the man who lent them his name - Eddie Van Halen'. Something like that.

Not a fan, but I'm glad we finally have this one smiley - cheers


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 8

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

I heard the band was named after alex ?!

will look at, the title.

some of this article is reminans of a fleamarket article, and I think the title is one of them


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 9

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

"Sorry: for thos of us who have little interest in rock, what's a 'capo'?"

It's not exclusive to rock. It was originally used on banjos and acoustic guitars. It is a strap or clamp that is applied to the instrument's neck just behind a fret in order to change the key the instrument is being played in. Accomplished or dextrous players can perform this function with the index finger of their fretting hand. On stage, many professionals have used capos, sometimes for their entire set. Amateurs use them to help them play songs that their fingers otherwise couldn't handle.

Think of it as a kind of a crutch.

Oh. Frets are those metal things that banjos and guitars have on their necks that violins and cellos don't. smiley - biggrin


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 10

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

just seeing how this is going smiley - winkeye


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 11

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

will lookat come the weekend


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 12

Smij - Formerly Jimster

This looks ready to me to be honest. I think we'd be happy to accept it as is.


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 13

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Warning: What follows is sarcasm

You would, wouldn't you? smiley - smiley

Warning: That was sarcasm

Anyway, just one more teeny-tiny typo:

"9 A movable bar clammep across the fretboard of a guitar so as to raise the pitch of all the strings."


A2831320 - Edward Van Halen

Post 14

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

changed footnote !


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

yeay me !!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

smiley - bubbly!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Tonsil Revenge (PG)


air guitars solo to "The Girl From Ipanema"


Key: Complain about this post