A Conversation for Talking Point: Family Stories

The funeral of their grandfather

Post 1

Alfredo


I have been married with a Californian woman for about 15 years.
We all lived in the Netherlands, including our four daughters.
The oldest daughter lives on her own in New York. Her mother still lives in The Netherlands.

The American grandfather of my daughters died at the age of 84.
Last friday was the funeral in the area of L.A., California

Not everyone was free to take the time/money to stay for several days in California.
The younger sisters remained in Holland.

One of them who did not go, came along today for a few practical things.
I asked her if she had heard some news about the funeral last Friday.

She told me, she had taken "a day off".

"A day off?" I replied.

"Yes, a day off, together with ABC = other sister.
We both went on that day for a long walk and talked about our memories about our Granddad.
We shared our emotions and later on we went to the city to eat and later in the evening we visited a bar for a drink.
Just to talk together about him".


I was very surprised, or, to use a better word, impressed.
Impressed by their spontaneous ritual of taking a day off and sharing their memories and emotions and also to show their respect for him in doing so.

What impressed me even so, was the complete casualness for her to do what she had done and just shared it with me, because I wanted to know.

Dignity (poise) showed itself in an almost hidden way.


Key: Complain about this post

The funeral of their grandfather

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more