Talking Point: Family Stories

20 Conversations

A picture of The Grove Family, British TV's first soap opera stars.

A wise man once wrote 'Every family has at least three great stories1'. Whether it be the old uncle who spent his life inventing time-saving gadgets, the aunt who found herself sitting next to a Royal at a banquet or the great grandfather whose survival instinct helped him escape the Nazis.

We're not after three stories - just one will do, but this week, we'd like to hear about your family stories. To set the tone, here's one of ours...

My great grandfather was a Lancashire builder living in Liverpool. By the early 1930s, Ireland had become the Irish Free State but had not yet been renamed Eire, but, being of Irish stock themselves, the heads of some of the unions of Liverpool often favoured Irish workers over English ones and my grandfather found himself struggling to find work. It might be hard to imagine now, but this was a time where the average working man 'knew his place' and never so much as questioned authority, never mind challenged it. But my great grandfather had fought in The Great War and felt he had more right to employment than men who were technically from another country.
So he wrote to the Prime Minister, Ramsay MacDonald.
Some time later, my great grandfather was summoned to the offices of the Labour Exchange where a member of the Civil Service roared at him for having the temerity for writing to the Prime Minister. 'You have no right to do such a thing!' the man concluded, My great grandfather however, reminded him that as a British subject he had every right to write to his Prime Minister if he wished. It seems that letter had set a chain of events going which had led to the Labour Exchange receiving special instructions to find my great grandfather employment befitting his trade. And the Labour Exchange were not happy with being told what to do by their superiors.
That week, my great grandfather was sent to work on the building of a new road that would join Liverpool and Manchester - the East Lancashire Road (aka the A580)...


So, now it's your turn.


1It was Stephen Poliakoff, actually

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2830231

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more