A Conversation for h2g2 Obituary Page

Obit : Phil Lynott 1949-1985

Post 1

TowelMaster

G'day John-the-Gardener(or may I call you John ?),

I just put up an article about Phil Lynott on my page and I think that he should be on the obituaries-page.

You can of course go and have a look for yourself at www.h2g2.com/U45152 but as you prefer a brief obit here is mine :

____________________________________________

'I cried the night the King died...' - Phil Lynott : 1949 - 1985


Phil Lynott passed away not because of any desease, he died of a lifestyle. The same lifestyle that turned him into the first Irish Rocker. He was infamous for his abuse of whatever stimulant he could find, topped with large amounts of alcohol. One would therefore think that he was a typical self-destructive rocker. He certainly was self-destructive but by no means a typical rocker. I think of his music with great admiration, he was able to write rock-songs that quite often weren't rocksongs at all. His songs have been covered by many artists(recently 'Old Town' was covered beautifully by The Corrs) and these covers reveal that Phil wrote truly universal songs. Being somewhat of a songwriter myself, I never cease to be amazed how simple his songs seem because the moment you try to play them they cease to be just that : simple. Although the name Phil Lynott is well-known, I think his versatility is still much underestimated.

Every Christmas-Eve I organize a wake for the people who are no longer with us but who influenced us during their lifetime. It's an alternative wake : we have a drink to the memory of all those we wish to remember. Phil has been on my list for years, what better way to honour him than with a drink ?

The Gaelic inscription on his stone reads,"Go dtuga Dia suaimhneas da anam" - "May God give peace to his soul".


Thank you for your attention,

TM.


Obit : Phil Lynott 1949-1985

Post 2

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

T M.

A fitting tribute to a great songwriter.

Why am I not surprised to find you writing about my greatest bass playing hero? Phil always felt overshadowed by the technical excellence of the various guitarists in Lizzy, for me, it was his persona and songwriting abilities that made up for any lack of technique on his part.

If you have a look at my home pge you'll see a pic om me 'n my trusty black precision that I bought in 1982. I bought it coz Phil used one, although I believe he preferred rosewood necks, most of the pics in the sleeve of Live and Dangerous featured the maple necked instruments.

My first son, was christened Jonathan Philip, as a tribute to the man, and the ceramic disc with my house number on has the music to the first few bars of The Boys Are Back In Town painted round the edge!


Obit : Phil Lynott 1949-1985

Post 3

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks for that.

JTG


Obit : Phil Lynott 1949-1985

Post 4

TowelMaster

Hi Bassman,

I would advise you to go to my page and read the full article...It's worth it...

John : glad to be of service...

TM. smiley - winkeye


Obit : Phil Lynott 1949-1985

Post 5

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

T M.

Went there, did that, left a comment!


Key: Complain about this post