A Conversation for h2g2 Obituary Page

Non-famous Obits

Post 1

Epic

Michael Fenton, 1945? - 1999. Instigator of Pegasus Juniors Football Club and Pegasus Adventure holidays for children. A quiet, shy man with a genuine enthusiasm for children, and who made a positive impact in my life. Still can't believe you're gone Mick.

Thanks John. This page is a great idea, and gave me the opportunity to mention someone who I had been wondering how I could pay tribute to. Afraid my obituary writing skills are not too hot, but hope you can do something with it!


Non-famous Obits

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thank you for your contribution. I've included your obituary to Mr Fenton and posted a link to your Homepage.

JTG


Non-famous Obits

Post 3

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Daniel Warder Cassel, Corporal, US Marine Corps. Born Dec. 1875; died June 1914, of dengue. Daniel, the oldest son in a family of prosperous store owners and farmers in eastern Pennsylvania, was a scrappy and uncontrollable but good-natured young man who finally found an outlet for his energy and non-conformism by joining the Marines in 1901. He was shipped out to the Philippines and was initially on combat duty until struck with intermittent fevers and swelling, due to dengue. For the rest of his tour, which he deliberately extended for the duration of his enlistment, he served as Company Clerk in Cavite. He wanted to re-enlist and remain in Manila, but his health was ruined. So he came home to the family farm and worked as a hand until his death at age 38.

I know all this about him because he kept a journal, news clippings and even some photos which I restored. He was my great-uncle. His relatives also preserved all his letters from the Philippines. Dan Cassel became a living window into history, and it was his old, faded photos which launched me into my present career path of research and photo restoration.

Semper Fi, Uncle Dan.

----------
Hope I didn't run on too long...


Non-famous Obits

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

William T. Capps 1943-1999

William T. Capps passed away on September 26th, 1999. He was a computer engineer from Pensacola, Florida, US. He was employed by the United States Navy at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife, his daughter, and his sister.

Mr. Capps grew up in a small town in Alabama, where his mother served the community as a Baptist preacher. He received a great deal of harassment as a boy because his father's identity remained clouded in mystery. The local mythology had the father pegged variously as a black man or a Jew.

He joined the United States Army to escape his small community, and served with honors in the Korean War. He was the first in the recorded history of his family to attend college. He graduated, and went on to get his graduate degree a couple of years before his death. He was a good provider, and more importantly to me a good father.

Mr. Capps moved several times during his career, and left behind him a trail of friends who continued to rely on his endless supply of free computer technical support. His optimism for the future and trust in the inherent goodness of mankind inspired many, as did his exuberant love of knowledge and frequent pep talks to friends and enemies alike.


Non-famous Obits

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks Fragilis. Your father must have been quite a man.

Best wishes, JTG


Non-famous Obits

Post 6

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

He was. To me, he was the best example in the world that fame isn't everything.

Fragilis


Non-famous Obits

Post 7

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Have you remembered Father's Day? It's tomorrow, June 18th.

I often forgot Father's Day. Now I regret it. You don't make the same mistake I did. There is still time to send your father a greeting card through the internet.

To find some free greeting card services, go to:
http://www.google.com/search?q=greeting+cards


Non-famous Obits

Post 8

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

What a funny coincidence! I just called my dad. Thanks for the reminder though. I'm usually pathetic when it comes to remembering dates. smiley - smiley

JTG


Non-famous Obits

Post 9

Osric_of_O

Mick Fenton of Pegasus Adventure was a great friend and mentor to a group of kids who came back to him year on year in the 1980s. We really benefited from his gentle tolerance and wisdom and it is a heavy grief to learn that he has passed on.
Half-formed ideas of getting back in touch with Mick to show him how we've turned out are now just regrets.

If you, Epic, can offer any more details (either in this column or privately) they would be much appreciated.
But if any friends from those Pegasus Adventure years performs the same search as we did and comes to this page, maybe add a comment and get in touch.

--Neville.


Key: Complain about this post