Longview, Texas, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Longview, Texas, USA

6 Conversations

Longview is a medium-sized city in northeast Texas with a population of 70,311. It got its name sometime in the mid-1800s when a railroad surveyor apparently looked out over what later became downtown, and said something to the effect of, 'Damn, there's a long view from up here!'.

Longview is the seat of Gregg County. The main point of interest is Gregg County Airport, a typical backwater airstrip of the type found in rural places throughout the USA. Its only notable feature is the approximately six kilometre-long main runway. Because of this exceptionally long landing strip, Gregg County Airport is the third alternate landing site for the Space Shuttle, and a dispersal base1 for America's nuclear bomber force. Aside from that, Longview is fairly unremarkable, serving mainly as a rest stop between Dallas, Texas and Louisiana along Interstate 20.

Places To Eat and Shop in Longview

There are several fast food restaurants - McDonald's, franchises of every major fried chicken chain, more than enough Chinese restaurants, and also a few steakhouses and 'bar & grill' places. One of the best places to eat, however, is called 'Mama Moose2 Deli & Mercantile'. It's a combination deli and gift shop frequented by Longview residents and famous country music singer Neal McCoy. It's at 2718 Gilmer Road, so if you ever happen to be in the area, drop in.

As for shopping, there is a small shopping mall, a Wal-Mart Supercenter, and several chain stores.

Places To Stay in Longview

There are several respectable hotels in Longview. A word of advice: only stay at the hotels that are affiliated with a major national chain - Holiday Inn, or Laquinta, perhaps.

Places To Learn In Longview

The Longview Independent School District consists of too many primary and elementary schools to list here, three middle schools - from grade six through to grade eight - and one high school, which is called, surprisingly enough, Longview High School. There is also a local history museum, located in a former bank once robbed by the infamous Dalton gang, and an art museum. A local extension of the University of Texas at Tyler should be completed in time for the fall 2000 semester.

Other Things You Should Know

If you're driving, you should try to avoid the south side of town. If you are hitchhiking, you should especially try to avoid the south side of town, as you'll probably either be mugged, or possibly shot* by a paranoid driver who thinks you're a mugger. However, if you do hitchhike on the south side, and somebody shoots you, Longview has two excellent hospitals, Longview Regional and Good Shepherd.

1A place for B-52 bombers to land after dropping their nuclear load on the enemy, assuming the enemy had already nuked the bombers' own home base.2The owner's son was nicknamed 'Moose' in school.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A273575

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more