A Conversation for Longview, Texas, USA

Racist characterization of southside Longview

Post 1

mnobles

Great Day in the Morning! Having spent my teen years in southside Longview, followed by 30 years in central Longview, during which time I raised my sons, sent them through the most integrated school district in the city, and saw the Longview grow and change, I must object to the racist characterization of the city's southside in the h2g2 article!

Southside Longview is the older, and now poorer, majority black and Hispanic part of the city. The very great majority of southside residents live in law-abiding households. However, poverty conditions breed lawbreaking at times, and...

...those with "white eyes" tend to extrapolate the behavioral characteristics of the few in poverty situations to the population as a whole. Hence, apparently, the idea that one places one's life in danger by driving south of the Highway 80 line.

I rode my bicycle all over southside Longview every evening for many, many years, and I would do so again today.

Regards to the more open-minded among you,
Mindy Nobles


Key: Complain about this post

Racist characterization of southside Longview

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more