A Conversation for The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings

Post 1

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

No, really, there's no entry on this! Someone needs to write one. I would, butI don't have a lot of free time.


The Lord of the Rings

Post 2

OpticalBoyfriend

to all this is opti boy friend

we are counting down to the return of the king release on may the 25th (only 61 days left)

i don't mind taking up tis posting due to the fact i work with the LOTR models every day of my life (if only arwen was real)

To find out more serach for Return of the king on any search engine and this should get u to the offical web site.

any questions ablout LOTR i will try and answer (if i can)

this is all new to me and only just been able to draw smiley - smiley so am a bit of a newby to the conversations

thanks andy (optical boyfriend)


The Lord of the Rings

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Have a look at the entry on The Hobbit A877881 to see the sort of thing we're looking for.


The Lord of the Rings

Post 4

Geggs

There's a few other entries around the subject, so you would have to be careful not to duplicate too much.

A655508: The Lord of the Rings - the Animated Adventure
A193961: Hobbits
A672022: The Life and Works of JRR Tolkien
A724961: The Major Villains of 'The Lord of the Rings'
A676226: The Fellowship of The Ring (2001) - Film Review
A1002754:'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' (2002) - Film Review


Geggs


The Lord of the Rings

Post 5

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Ok..., thanks for the links. As I said, I have almost no free time, but if no-one decides to write an entry within two months I can do it, as that's when my exams are over and I have my summer holidays.


The Lord of the Rings

Post 6

SomeMuppet

Hussassan,

A couple of points.

1 the links pointed out already contain some guide entries
2. One entry for Lord of the rings??????????
3. I take it you mean the books rather than the films
4. I would be happy to help out, but I do feel that at least 3, if not 6 entries would be required (one for each book)
5. If this was going to be started then a history of Middle Earth (ala The Silmarilion) would have to be done


So in conclusion I think to do the whole thing justice 7 Entries would need to be done.

As I said before I would be happy to help (I have read LOTR 15 times before the films came out, and I have also done a treatment of a sci-fi/fantasy series for the guide for Dune (Frank Herbert))
Cheers

KJ


The Lord of the Rings

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I think one entry for the whole of the Lord of the Rings would be right. Tolkien intended it as a single book. It was published as three volumes because the publishers didn't think they would be able to sell it as one big book, despite Tolkien's objections. The breakdown into volumes is completely artificial and there is no reason why an entry on the book should also be broken into three.

As it was, it gave Tolkein trouble, because he had to think of names for each of the 'volumes'. He picked the name "The Two Towers" to represent the towers of Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul facing each other across the river, but later realised that there was nothing about Minas Tirith in the book at all, so he changed his mind and stated in the book that the title refers to the towers of Orthanc and Minas Morgul, both of which feature in the volume.


The Lord of the Rings

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

>>if this was going to be started then a history of Middle Earth (ala The Silmarilion) would have to be done

Kiltedjedi, that's the sort of thinking that stops a lot of people writing entries. There's no reason why a history of Middle Earth would have to be done. There's also no reason why an entry on The Lord of The Rings would have to be a long one. One or two pages would be quite sufficient. We don't have to reproduce the book in the entry.

Apologies for misspelling Tolkien's name in my previous post. I also have read LOTR many times (11? 12? 13?) and I do know how to spell Tolkien. That was just a typing error.smiley - blush


The Lord of the Rings

Post 9

PaulBateman

I agree you don't want a long entry. If you're like me you can't be bothered reading a monitor for long periods of time. Another is that if you give too much infomation it'll spoil reading the book in the first place. The Hobbit entry summarises how this should be done.


The Lord of the Rings

Post 10

masterzora

Well, I could write an entry on the movies, all three, if anyone wanted. I've seen each one at least twice (extended on the first two, of course). Well, I'm not sure how great my writing would be, but I could definitely supply information for anyone who wanted to write one.

As for books, I don't have anything that would be overly good for an entry. There are tons of people who know loads more about the books than I do.


The Lord of the Rings

Post 11

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Opticalboyfriend is writing this entry look back a few threads smiley - smiley

I repeat : Opticalboyfriend is writing this entry look back a few threads smiley - smiley


The Lord of the Rings

Post 12

Mrs Zen

I don't suppose, "Long book, longer films, short people, bad hair" would cover it?

Ben


The Lord of the Rings

Post 13

Z

smiley - rofl

I never got past the shire

*hides*


The Lord of the Rings

Post 14

GreyDesk

You mean someone wrote a book as well as doing a film smiley - doh


The Lord of the Rings

Post 15

Mrs Zen

Yeah, and then the sicko called one of the books "The Twin Towers" - some people have no cultural sensitivity!

B


The Lord of the Rings

Post 16

Cyzaki

"Long book, longer films, short people, bad hair"

You mean you can read the book in less time than you can watch the film? Woah!

smiley - panda


The Lord of the Rings

Post 17

SEF

It depends on how fast you can read! The story isn't quite the same though (you only get one guess as to which is "right").

Reading the book also means you don't have to put up with ignorant cinema-goers complaining about "The Two Towers" title being insensitive or "The Return of the King" title being sacriligeous because it doesn't mention Jesus even once. I haven't heard of any outraged Elvis fans but they may well be out there somewhere (unless they are not quite as deranged and divorced from reality as some of the fundamentalists evidently are). I don't recall anyone complaining about "The Fellowship of the Ring" title but there could well be some masonic conspiracy theorists around too...


The Lord of the Rings

Post 18

Mrs Zen

Hmmm. Or disappointed readers of Pauline Reage.

B


The Lord of the Rings

Post 19

GreyDesk

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh


The Lord of the Rings

Post 20

Z

*realises Ben did mean what I think she meant*



smiley - rofl


Key: Complain about this post