A Conversation for H2G2 Parent and Child Group.

Hello

Post 21

Jimi X

Yes, if you can see/feel the bumps - it's only going to be a matter of time! smiley - smiley


Hello

Post 22

Vestboy

It can be a really miserable time for the little ankle biters. The nappy rash may be due to the stronger wee. You may be able to get some sort of barrier cream. (doesn't work and actually counteracts the benefits of some nappies so check it out). Also changing your nappy regime may help, are you using terry nappies or disposables? We found certain types of disposable were better than others.


Hello

Post 23

shelly

i remember when sophie was first teething,i found that a very cold teething ring was the only thing that calmed her,that and an awful lot of teething liquid.Mind you sophie also had a tendancey to chew on the remote as well. we're now getting ready for her second teeth,so that should be fun if the first lot were anything to go by!
smiley - smiley


Hello

Post 24

Vestboy

Gappy grins are great! smiley - smiley


Hello

Post 25

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

We mostly use all-in-one washables, but we switched to disposables while on holiday (my parents suffer from water rationing so washing is a problem).
It doesn't seem to make much difference what we use; Charlotte only has nappy rash when the dribbling is at its worst, regardless of nappy cream, vaseline or disposables. Letting her lie without a nappy is the best way I've found to cure it.
smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley
We've got a crawler on our hands now - last Tuesday she suddenly learned to crawl, Wednesday she learned to sit up and she also pulled herself to her feet in her playpen (and then fell over before Daddy could reach her).


Hello

Post 26

Jimi X

LOL!

That sounds like my first one. She just sat around until one day she just started crawling. There weren't any preliminaries, it just started all at once - almost like she was thinking about it and when she had worked out the concept, it was time to put it into practice. smiley - smiley

Hope you've baby-proofed your home. Cupboards full of chemicals, electircal outlets, loose change on low tables - all things to explore when you're a baby. smiley - winkeye

- X


Hello

Post 27

Gargoyle

Back to the teething issue - can their teeth go down again? Lilith DEFINATELY had a bump in her top gum, me, her dad and the grandparents all felt it. Two days later it vanished, the teething symptoms calmed down (apart from the drool) and she's been fine since (up until today when she suddenly got the rosy on one side only thing again). I'm pretty sure we didn't imagine it, but I had no idea teeth could go down like that!

And while I'm here can I do a quick proud mother bit of boasting (seems the best place in h2g2 to do it). At 22 weeks Lilith is sitting up! I'm told by the health visitor that this is early - in fact we had to show one of the HVs because she thought we were exagerating. I think its down to her hating rolling over so much - she did it once weeks and weeks ago and never again. As if she thought "I don't think much of that, lets concentrate on something else"

smiley - bigeyes Gar.


Hello

Post 28

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

Teeth can go down again - at least, the baby's jaw can grow fast enogh to overtake the teeth again. I think that's why most babies don't get teeth until 7 or 8 months although they can have symptoms for months.smiley - sadface

22 weeks is early - the average is about seven monthssmiley - smiley. Charlotte was early too - she sat at 19 weeks, although she didn't start things like playing with her toes and picking up toys until about 16 weeks; her cousin Sammy (who didn't sit until six months) began to do that a 14 weeks.

I think Charlotte is early crawling and standing too; she started both at six and a half months, but she hasn't a clue what to do with a spoon yet when apparently we were all feeding ourselves by about seven months. Maybe I should use more plastic sheeting and let her experiment more....

When did Lilith roll over?


Hello

Post 29

Gargoyle

It was St Patricks day. Poor thing really scared herself - screamed and screamed and screamed. She turns herself around through 360 degrees by rolling from her back to her side over and over, but has never rolled all the way again!

She has also just hit the if I can touch it I've got to taste it stage!

Gar.


Hello

Post 30

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

They find it easier when they're naked, I've noticed. I'm sure that's why Charlotte learned to crawl so fast - in Riyadh it was too hot for her to wear more than a nappy most of the time.

She didn't like being dressed again when we got back.


Hello

Post 31

Gargoyle

Lilith has never liked being dressed. She doesn't mind being naked and she doesn't mind being clothed, but any stage inbetween leads to screaming heebie-jeebies. We keep hoping it will wear off and she'll start being co-operative. Being in the UK we never get so she can manage in just a nappy!

smiley - bigeyes Gar


Hello

Post 32

Gargoyle

I need the help and advice of any parent for a guide entry I'm working on. Its on post natal depression and is at http://www.h2g2.com/A325126. Its long but please take a look and tell me what you think.

smiley - bigeyesGar


Hello

Post 33

Voltaire's Frog

Well that brings back memories for me I can tell you! I wish that I could offer some advice but I can't - my two just grew out of it eventually. Sorry.


Hello

Post 34

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

Charlotte loves playing 'peepo' when her head goes through a top, but she hates her arms being constricted. I try to make a game out of threading them through sleeves, but it doesn't fool her for long. Trousers or tights are fine because she stands up to have them on, and she loves standing up.

I've no idea how to teach them to like getting dressed. One of my nieces hated it until she was about two and discovered 'Dressing up'.


Hello

Post 35

Vestboy

I'm sure you already do it but it's best if you roll up th esleeve of a garment as you put it on (like you would for a sock before you put your foot into it) Then they only put their hand through a hole and not along a never ending tunnel with thumbs and little fingers getting caught in all the little holey bits.


Key: Complain about this post