A Conversation for Talking Point: Cars

The Mini : Accept no imitations

Post 1

XPhileEmma

Hey folks, I'm 19 and in love with all things Mini - just as long as it's the one and only original, and not some German imitation. I refer of course to the BMW "New Mini", a car which in my opinion does not deserve to have the Mini badge on it's bonnet or to bear the Mini name in any form. Let me explain...

I partly learned to drive in our F reg red Mini Mayfair, still drive it now, and have found it to be the most enjoyable car I have driven. And I have driven quite a few cars, I did the rest of my learning in a Vauxhall Corsa, and I've driven a Rover 75, Suzuki Jimny, Carry, Vitara, Grand Vitara and Ignis and several other Vauxhalls. But nothing has compared to the Mini in terms of driving experience and relationship to the road.

Modern cars have 5 (or 6) gears and nice springy suspension, power streering and automatic chokes. The whole process of driving is "sanitised". With a Mini, you have to work to get the car going, you have to turn the steering wheel. When you drive along the road you feel the dips and bumps - it makes for a shaky ride sometimes, but at least you know you're moving. When I get in my Mini, I want to smile, the whole experience is such good fun. And just look at an original Mini, it almost looks like it has a face, a cheeky little character. Plus at only 10 foot, finding a parking space is a lot easier. And it's pretty efficient with the fuel!

And other Mini drivers are so nice. OK, so I don't know every Mini driver in the world, but it feels a little like a fraternity. When Mini drivers pass each other on the road, they flash their lights and wave, even if most of the time they don't know each other. It makes you feel special.

Now, to me, the "New Mini" does not look like a Mini. Well, I guess it does look a bit like a Mini, but I don't think it has the cheeky look about it. Also, it's 15 inches too long (I know, I know, saftey measures) and costs too much. When Alec Issigonis conceived the Mini, he wanted it to be a small and affordable family car. To me, the "New Mini" does not adhere to those principles, and I don't feel that it deserves the name or the badge, and I don't think it should be part of the legend.

Long live the Mini - Beware of BMW imitations!!!


The Mini : Accept no imitations

Post 2

Trout Montague

Blame it on Mr. Bean. He undid all Michael Caine's hard work.


The Mini : Accept no imitations

Post 3

XPhileEmma

Nah, I think there was something kinda cool about the yellow/green paint job and the bolt on the door lol smiley - tongueout


The Mini : Accept no imitations

Post 4

blaue Augen

Oooh, I love the BMW mini. I live in the US and compared to most of the other cars, it really is mini! I have never driven one, and I've never driven an original mini. But I don't suppose I'll ever own a mini as there just isn't room in that back seat for three children's car seats!!! I'll take your word for it that the original is a great car to drive. smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more