A Conversation for Talking Point: Cars

Cars with Character

Post 1

Trout Montague

All right, we're all getting a bit bogged down in the green debate here.

So here's a list to start of Cars with Character.

Maybe we'll add some write-ups as we go.

Morgan
1961 Jaguar E-Type
1959 Austin Mini
Trabant 601
Hindustan Ambassador (1954 Series IV Morris Oxford)
1936 Volkswagen Beetle
1954 300SL Flügeltürer
1963 Porsche 911
1957 Fiat 500 (1957-1975)


Cars with Character

Post 2

Gothic

AC Cobra 427
Aston Martin V8 series (the cars after the DBS and before the Virage)
Reliant Scimitar SE6A
Mercedes Benz AMG SL500 (2003)
Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Estate (2002)
Lamborghini LM002
Triumph Stag
Triumph Spitfire


Cars with Character

Post 3

Deuce

Character or Flash? Part 1

Cars with character in my interpretation are not necessarily flashy cars.
What about the wedge? The x-reg (1982) Austin Princess 2 (later dubbed the Ambassador)
That car had character. I suppose it had to have character cos it was so bl**dy ugly!
I was given one of those a few years back. The price was "free" and I still think I paid too much.
But seriously, it was one of the smoothest riding cars I have ever driven. And I got more looks from the birds than I ever have in my jeep. smiley - biggrin
Granted they were not necessarily positive responses (Ok... they mostly pointed and laughed or just looked bewildered)smiley - wah
But that car had character!


Cars with Character

Post 4

Deuce

Character or Flash? Part 2

Nothing from Ford built after 1980 should ever be on this list.

Even the new Ford GT (that gaudy red monstrosity) was fashioned after someone elses hard work.
I don't know what happened at Ford around 1980 but it seems to me that the design teams all had a lobotomy and they just started outputting the ugliest and most unappealing cars and trucks ever conceived.


It is very similar to the way Renault is headed with that new Megane (Shakin' that *ss) and Fiat with that Multipla.
Holy Cow what happened there?
The unbelievable thing in those two examples is that some one looked at the designs for them and said "Hey! I think you have something there!"

Hey that is how we can get people to use public transport! Only offer Meganes and Multiplas For Sale in the UK.

Well the obvious flaw is that there are people already driving around in them.

I know I would rather walk than drive one of those two cars. But then I did drive a "wedge" so I think my plan may need some more thought.
Oh Well!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more