A Conversation for Talking Point: Cars

Worst Car Conditions

Post 1

JumpinJane



I once had a lift to school in an old Mini that you had to completely remove the front passenger seat to get onto the back seat. The passenger door only opened from the outside too, so anyone sat next to the driver had to wind down the window and stretch out for the door handle to get out.

I also once met a lady with an old Datsun Cherry with a passenger door that opened every time she went round a corner!!

Oh and then there was my friend's Ford Anglia that took both hands and a lot of strength to pull the handbrake on. But at least it had a decent stereo.


Worst Car Conditions

Post 2

Al Johnston

A friend's mum's Citroen Dyane had an accelerator pedal that fell off at random intervals.

Thankfully, the brake pedal stayed put....

smiley - devilsmiley - pirate


Worst Car Conditions

Post 3

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

Did have a mini-bus for rugby that the guy in the back seat had to hold the back door shut


Worst Car Conditions

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

One of my old landrovers had a habit of starting up if you slammed the bonnet closed - replacing the starter solenoid fixed that though. Then the accelerator came loose and I had to drive it home using the hand throttle ... not easy.


Worst Car Conditions

Post 5

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

My old Fiat Panda went though a phase of the engine dieing at random times, normally on hills or when slowing for a roundabout (developed a seemless clutch in and bump start techinque at 20mph !!)

Then it had a small phase of restarting as I took the key out the ignition !!


Worst Car Conditions

Post 6

SANDWULLIE

I had an austin allegro and when you braked the back seat used to slide off and crush the passengers feet smiley - laugh.


Worst Car Conditions

Post 7

Emee, out from under the rock

I had a 1974 Subaru that had a rusted out hole in the driver's side floor. Going around corners too fast with the back passenger door unlocked would make it fly open every time. The engine though was gold. It's still running. It's being used to power a grain auger on a farm.

Also had a 1994 Chevy Corsica. A 'slim jim' had been lost in the driver's door when my mom locked her keys in the car once. It shorted out the electric locks and everytime I went over a bump or if a radar gun were in use, the locks would click. That engine lasted 251K miles and finally conked out at the post office one day.


Worst Car Conditions

Post 8

Teasswill

Many years ago, my then fiance had a Triumph spitfire with a soft top. Parked outside, in cold weather condensation would gather on the inside of the roof & drip on you when in transit. smiley - doh


Worst Car Conditions

Post 9

blaue Augen

Growing up we had an 82 chevy cavalier that you had to have the clutch in constantly to drive.

My husband was driving his grandmother's old car once (I don't remember what it was) and the gas pedal got stuck on the floor. He tried pulling it up with his hand and ripped the pedal off the stick and eventually had to turn the car off while driving to get it to stop.


Key: Complain about this post