Parsnips

26 Conversations

I distrust parsnips.

Picture the scene. You're sitting down to a lovely meal, plate piled high with roast beef, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and gravy. You tuck in to some potato - but it's not potato, it's parsnip. You're a guest, so obviously you stifle your first reflex (gagging loudly, spitting the offending matter onto the side of your plate and declaring 'Urgh! These potatoes are off, aren't they?') and politely chew until you can bear to swallow, your face all the time betraying your horror at the true contents of your meal.

Parsnips. Stealth vegetables. Not like other vegetables which have the decency to display their vegetableness proudly, so you can avoid them (or mask them with other food). No, the despicable parsnip masquerades as that most acceptable of foods - the potato - often lurking alongside real potatoes in the roasting tray, waiting to unleash its vile, sickly sweet payload.

I say it's time to take a stand.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2593

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more