A Conversation for Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Peer Review: A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 1

cajunrefugee

Entry: Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction - A2471564
Author: cajunrefugee - U187029

Might be a little dry. Working on a history of Louisiana Civil Code next!


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 2

McKay The Disorganised

I agree it could use a little seasoning, however this is a subject on which I am blissfully ignorant. I did think however that Louisiana based its legal system on that of France ?

smiley - cider


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 3

Friar

A few quick notes:

The introductory paragraph/sentence says: "Common Law jurisdictions". Although the lay-person will vaguely understand that this is some type of legal system, then sentence means very little unless you know what, specifically, that means. My advice (admittedly also vague) would be to speak more plainly during your introduction so that you don't lose anybody before you get into the meat of the article.

This carries a little into the second para where you talk about the Civil Law and Civil Code. Perhaps footnotes would help, or simply creating a longer introduction where you define some terms for your readers. I know its boring, so footnotes might work better.
this would be a footnote after the period of the previous sentence Jargon is handled pretty well by footnotes, even long footnotes are ok in my opinion.

Of a nit-picky nature:
para #2: "they exhaustive list and state"- - - exhaustively

para #4: "The courts use these sources to formulate the rules in cases before them" The final them is an unclear reference.

para#4: "When no rule for a given situation exists or can be derived from legislation and custom, the court must resort to equity." You will be hunted by the Hunter of Long Clauses, unless a sufficiently good defense (such as, I'm a law talkin' guy) is used to maintain such a long clause before such a short body. See? cumbersome.

That's all I've really proofed so far, sorry its late. . .

Friar, back from real life with two stories and a tan


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 4

cajunrefugee

Louisiana is based on both Napoleonic Code and Spain's Las Siete Partidas. Civil Codes typically have their roots in Roman Law as recorded by Justinian.

Hope that helps.


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 5

cajunrefugee

Howdy,

Thanks for the suggestions. Couple of things.

Been a while since I've written anything, how do I edit the text? I can't remember how I did my last submission and I'm unable to find the info I need on the FAQ page. Can I just edit it the text online? Thanks.

Will fix the Common Law jurisdictions thingy.

Will try to speak clearer.

I wanted to add footnotes, but was unsure how. I will add them in. Thanks!

Long clauses: my defense is that I'm a law student. Is that sufficient to defeat the Hunter of Long Clauses, or am I merely fodder for his crossbow? Understand the comment though and will break i down.

Thanks for the help!


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 6

Friar

To edit your entry (in the brunel format(:
open the entry, at the top on the right there is a blue Edit Entry Button.

Go to the GuideML help clinic before you enter footnotes. Guide ML is really easy, but you need to write the entire entry in it to see it properly.

Friar


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 7

Cyzaki

The author seems to have left the building - flea market time?

smiley - panda


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 8

GreyDesk

I have to say I can't see this as being one that will readily come back out of the Flea Market, but on the other hand I am loathe to send this one back to entry. Let's give it a run out smiley - ok

* cranks up his e-mail engine ready to talk to the Towers *


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 9

Cyzaki

Are you following me? smiley - tongueout

smiley - panda


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 10

GreyDesk

Yes, you have a stalker smiley - monster


A2471564 - Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Post 11

cajunrefugee

Sorry guys, career got the best of me...will eventually begin working on this again...all sincere apologies.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Louisiana's Civil Law Jurisdiction

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more