A Conversation for The Funny Pages

X-men? Buffy?

Post 21

Emlock

Sunnydale College For Gifted Youngsters, where the whole campus is the 'danger room'. Yes, I can go along with that (In England, on the Sky One satellite/digital terrestrial channel, we are now two weeks into the current US season, I should say). As for the plummy accent of Mr Giles, maybe it's all that Gold Blend instant coffee he used to drink?


X-men? Buffy?

Post 22

Mustapha

Oddly enough, Anthony Stewart Head has appeared in the English series Jonathan Creek playing an American magician. His IMDb fils indicates him as English though.

Easy on the spoilers though, NZ is only just getting into the 3rd season!


X-men? Buffy?

Post 23

Awix

The spectre of the Gold Blend ad campaign must be more terrifying than anything in Buffy. Was there a spoiler? We're only up to mid-2nd season on terrestrial TV in the UK. Tangent: the BBC are heavily promoting a new sitcom about a moronic superhero (it doesn't look promising). Anyone else seen the ads?


X-men? Buffy? Spoiler?

Post 24

Emlock

I didn't really give anything away, now did I? No plot points that I noticed, and now that I have found out that other participants aren't as up-to-date on the Buffster as this On Digital subscriber, I will try to be very careful.


Buffy? X-Men?

Post 25

Emlock

"Someone told me I had created my own version of the X-Men, and I tend to agree that that's the dynamic I've latched onto", Joss Whedon said in an interview in Comic Buyer's Guide #1364 that I came across since the last entry. "At their best the x-Men were like a squabbling family or like a bunch of friends who happened to have super-powers. I'm sure there are younger super-hero teams who may be more comparable to Buffy and the group, but The X-Men are the ones who influenced me the most in assembling my cast of characters." The interview even compares characters in the two teams. 'CBG' is on the web at www.comicsbuyersguide.com, but I'm not sure how much editorial matter they manage to offer; since it's a 60-page newspaper every week, I suspect they get a bit choosy, but you can find lots of small ads there.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more