A Conversation for Non-Christians for Sexual Abstinence

My soapbox... why not?

Post 1

Leo

Since this is a place to post my reason's for abstaining, I will do so, for lack of anything better to do right now.

Too much physical pleasure, is, quite frankly, gross. This is difficult to explain to someone who lays around, as much as it is difficult to expain to a 500 lb person sitting down to a meal that covers an entire table that the sight of him eating is quite sickening. (Both are nauseating to someone not hardened to both.)

Point number two: S*x before marriage disposes of the sanctity of marriage. If you can lay with anybody before marriage, there's no need to marry. And once married, there's not very much holding the marriage together. (ie: no mutual loyalty to something special between the spouses only). No marriage= messed up kids. Which is "bad".

Sure there's more. smiley - yawn another day.


My soapbox... why not?

Post 2

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

<< If you can lay with anybody before marriage, there's no need to marry. And once married, there's not very much holding the marriage together. (ie: no mutual loyalty to something special between the spouses only). >>

If a couple need sex to stay together, do they really belong together? It would seem that in such a situation they're only in it for sex. If the couple wouldn't be happy together without having sex at all, should they be together?--you seem to be suggesting that married couples stay together because of sex.

Anyway, by your arguement that there's no reason to marry except for sex, then I'm not sure your first arguement doesn't forbid marrige. After all, if sex before marrige is bad/gross because it is too much physical pleasure, then marrige as a way to get sex is just a meathod to get physical pleasure and is thus gross as well.


I don't see how marrige makes sex any more right or good. Safer, perhaps, but not any more right.


My soapbox... why not?

Post 3

Leo

'fraid I wasn't clear.

They are two seperate things, really. Even once married, too much is not good.
But the reason there was ever something known as 'the sactity of marriage' in the past was because although couples married because they liked each other, well, you can like someone without marrying them. The point is that now there is something special between the couple, something that can bond them. Of course, smiley - winkeye that used to lead to children, which is a massive bonding experience on its own.
If you're not having children, and you're not keeping it as something special with your spouse, then yes, you are just indulging in a sick kind of physical pleasure.
I think that might not have been too clear, but I have to go do the dishes now. So feel free to demand a clarification.


My soapbox... why not?

Post 4

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

I tihnk I see your point, although I am neither convinced of the value of marrige nor of the need for sex for marrige to work.


My soapbox... why not?

Post 5

Leo

smiley - winkeye
well, somethings you just cant appreciate until you try them. Like caviar, and things like that.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more