A Conversation for Talking Point: TV Imports

Only Britsh

Post 1

HanSolo

I don't know, but I think the introduction to this conversation topic is too "british" flavoured for me.

Although this site is hosted at BBC and Douglas was british, there are a lot of different countries in which TV is imported and from where it is exported from.

This topic gave me the impression that here it is only about american Imports/Exports and british ones.

Just a guess...


Only Britsh

Post 2

Riccardo - Keeper of the Hammond Organ

I know what you're saying Mr.Solo - basically, in Britain the TV is generally either British or American, hence the nature of the conversation topic.

In my (humble) opinion, a lot of the stuff we get from the US is top quality - I find "Six Feet Under" and "Nip/Tuck" totally addictive. I also enjoy "Scrubs", and just to let you know, the British equivalent of that is totally crap - I can't even remember what's it's called and I'm so glad of that. And of course "The Simpsons" and "South Park" are very popular here too, I don't think we even have a British equivalent. "Friends", "Frasier", and "Sex in the city" are all soaps/serials that will be missed here. I think the secret is that the humour works in both continents - for various reasons (language, timing, topics).

I just hope that the same applies to some of the stuff you (may) get from Britain. I can't wait to hear how "The Office" goes down in the US. I heard "Coupling" didn't do too well, which is a shame. At the end of the day, some things work, some things don't, ce la vie.

Hope I haven't rambled - I've just come back from seeing a jazz band here in Edinburgh - really cool, and had a "one or two" pints. And by the way the drummer was American smiley - smiley


Only Britsh

Post 3

HanSolo

What I wanted to say is:

The topic is written in a british view, possibly because the authors are british. That's fine with me, but as we try to make a guide of the earth, this is just a too narrow talking point for me (as I am not british).


Only Britsh

Post 4

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I noticed that too Han. There was a concession to non-Brits nearer the end of the introduction, but I was left with the feeling that it was aimed primarily at Brits.


Only Britsh

Post 5

broelan

talking points, and any other content that the *editors* put out is always going to be brit-centric. no matter how many users there are from different countries around the world this will always be a brittish site. that doesn't prohibit you from expanding the subject by discussing it from other points of view smiley - smiley

there have been a lot of great brittish imports in america: red dwarf, blackadder, father ted, monty python, fawlty towers, coupling, graham norton, manchild, murder in mind, waking the dead, cracker and jonathan creek come immediately to mind. but a couple of my favorite imports have been canadian: you can't do that on television (mid 80s) and red green.

having been a fan of the original 'coupling' i watched the americanized version just to see how bad they would screw it up. in short it failed because it was poorly cast, poorly acted and poorly edited. unfortunately nearly everything they try to americanize meets with the same results (red dwarf, men behaving badly).

do brits ever try to do the same thing with their imports? do they have more success?


Only Britsh

Post 6

HanSolo

> talking points, and any other content that the *editors* put
> out is always going to be brit-centric

why should that be? this is not a british project! douglas adams was british, yes, and the site is hosted there, but I doubt that this would have been his intention!

hey, read the headline of the start page again? what does it say?
--> "Welcome to the earth edition of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"

do you find anything pointing to british there?

and no, I have nothing against the british!


Key: Complain about this post