A Conversation for The Quite Interesting Society

QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 121

hygienicdispenser


No, it's not people stirring custard.


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 122

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Damnit!


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 123

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

Is it a person who has won a lot of money somehow, but has decided to carry on working anyway????

smiley - biggrin
GT


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 124

hygienicdispenser


Sorry, missed this one: it's not lottery winners, though probably most of the people doing the job don't need the money it brings in.

To reiterate: it's one particular job. And although the person doing it may appear to be a caretaker/pizza guy/etc., they are not. They are doing this so far unidentified job.


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 125

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

I was going to say spies but they have spies in the UK.

MI5 agent was sent to make contact with an agent in Wales. He knew the surname, Jones, and had a coded message to identify the right man.

When he arrived at the station he asked the station master if he could direct him to the house of Mr Jones.

"Well," said the station master,"that depends which one you want."

"We've got Jones the butcher, Jones the undertaker, Jones the schoolmaster, and me, I'm Jones the station."

The MI5 man looked at him and said, "The geeses are flying out over the Irish Sea tonight."

"Oh", said the station master,"you'll be wanting Jones the spy."

smiley - run


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 126

hygienicdispenser


Hmmm. Did he say spies or didn't he say spies?


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 127

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Yes I did say spies..........I have lots of points to spend smiley - laugh


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 128

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

In gravel-toned cinema voice-over:

Pebble: Son of Taff.

He's on a mission, to find every last klaxon, and he won't stop until he's found them all!!

[insert here: theme from Indiana Jones ]


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 129

hygienicdispenser


Now let me see. There was something about spies...What was it?...Oh yes...

Spies smiley - bluelight -5


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 130

toybox

Maybe he's taff's sock puppet smiley - ghost


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 131

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

With those bunions?

No wonder he has big ears....

smiley - bigeyes


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 132

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

"No wonder he has big ears"

That's just malicious gossip, I have never been to Toytown


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 133

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

It's one particular job. And although the person doing it may appear to be a caretaker/pizza guy/etc., they are not. They are doing this so far unidentified job and most of the people doing the job don't need the money it brings in. They are also not doing this job openly.
The seedy cannot be "worn shabby etc" as they would appear to be so if seen, it's not a maybe. So seedy connects to the job in some sense of seeds.

Possible conclusions:

It is a paid job.
It is a job that is undertaken mostly because of the nature of the job and not for the remuneration.
It isn't a job that requires a disguise or special costumes.
It therefore must be a job that is done out of the public eye.
It is a job that is unusual enough that knowing what it is will immediately lead to the exclamation "Of course, {Insert name of famous person}."
This job is open to anyone although everyone doesn't neccessarily get the chance to do it. But if you got the chance you would regard it as a "good thing".
The key to this job is that it is in some way so "special" that the names of people who are or have done it would comprise a list small enough to be able to make a fair guess at the one name sought.

The only answer that roughly fits the above is No one doing nuffink. My brain hurts.


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 134

hygienicdispenser


pebblederook - a reasonable summary, though the following assumptions are incorrect:

They are also not doing this job openly.

It isn't a job that requires a disguise or special costumes. - maybe/maybe not

It therefore must be a job that is done out of the public eye.


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 135

ekky99

Sounds like the Poet Laureate.

Wordsworth never wrote a single poem while he was in this post.


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 136

ekky99

...or if there's seeds involved, what about keeper of the Queen's pigeons?


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 137

hygienicdispenser


Sorry ekky, it's neither of those. And it's amazing that we got to Post 136 for a mention of...

The Queen smiley - bluelight -5


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 138

Rod

Only one occupation coming anywhere close to mind.
Don't know about pay but there is 'official' support, I think -

Starting/maintaining a suitably worthy collection of seeds / trees / plants

?


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 139

hygienicdispenser


Morning Rod. You're a long way off the mark there, I'm afraid.
I'm not sure that maintaining a seed collection would ever require you to look like a pizza delivery guy. smiley - smiley


QI - It's the Windsor Swing! Let's Roll!

Post 140

Rod

not even one who collects olives
yeah well
back to sleep then


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more