A Conversation for Season of Mists and Thorough Nastiness

A Satellite View

Post 1

Rox

Have you ever looked at the Earth from your spaceship? It's amazing how rarely it looks anything like what you see in every atlas in the world.

It's about time we started to recognize that the United Kingdom is not top-dead-centre of the world (although it might well be dead). After all, that is no more than a legacy of the days when 'Brittania Ruled the Waves' and map makers cowtowed to the British convention.

It is equally valid to view the world with, for example, Australia in the pre-eminent position. Interestingly, if you do so, the United Kingdom becomes a tiny appendage in the bottom righthand corner of the map.

More important, once you have looked at the world in this alternative way, it becomes remarkably difficult even to remember how it looked before.

So, if you want to change the world……change the world!


Key: Complain about this post

A Satellite View

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more