A Conversation for History of The SETI@home h2g2 Resarchers Group

how to join

Post 21

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

thanks for the reply, Bruce
I figgered that wrapping was the problem. have dealt with similar/reverse problem with email. when emailers hard wrap lines at the end of a certain number of characters, and if you put a long url in it breaks it. Then when it displays, the part on the second line isnt displayed as part of the link. This looks like a parallel problem.

Just wish there was a way to edit journal entries so I could get the danged link outta there. I normally do not work with windows the full size of my 1024x768 screen, and when I change resolution to even 800x600 it is hard to get even average size h2g2 pages to display completely WITH a full screen. And that's on a Mac with the itty bitty type, too. wonder what it looks like in a big ole clunky windoze display???

Was hoping you would have a 'magic' fix. but just guess I will have to write lotsa journal entries and push the thing off the main page.

BTW, I am enjoying playing with GuideML. I especially like the error correcting feature. Maybe when I get around to formally learning xml it will make sense. I keep your page close at hand, so thanks for the help.

blu
}:=8


browser wars

Post 22

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

Problem also exists in NN unless you expand browser window to full screen at 1024x768, which I dont usually like to do. And this also includes Mac as well as windoze.

Re IE:

Uh-uh. Dont use it. Use Netscape/iCab/and sometimes even Lynx

Only use IE when checking code, so I will know what 'creative' things bill's browser has done to display my pages. Oh, I know, I know, IE has improved, IE is better than Netscape, etc., etc.

I started using browsers when AOL and eWorld [remember eWorld????] were using the same browser, and they didnt even understand the 'center' tag. Before that I used telnet[image] and lynx [image]. But that was back in the stone age. Then I met Netscape and fell in love.

And besides, I object to bill's browser because I object to bill. On principle. Even though IE 4.5 for Mac IS a pretty cool browser. Old habits die hard. And furthermore, I think net clients[and computer companies] should make it easier to communicate among a variety of platforms, not go off and do it's own thing and expect everyone else to follow along. *baaaa, mooooo, and similar herding noises* [that's the part about why I object to bill on principle.]

So there.
/rant

smiley - winkeye
blu
}:=8

PS waiting for "Eeek my page is too wide"....


browser wars

Post 23

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

I know... I despise billy too, and his browser sucks just as much as he does. But when you're not on the mac platform, you're almost FORCED to run windoze... and if you don't want to hang your machine all the time, you better have the last version of windows, and that won't even work well without IE anymore, so even if you wanna use NN, you're FORCED to have IE too!

I detest having TWO browsers on my system if one will do. Thus NN fell out of consideration, even though I would have preferred it over the thing I'm using now.


browser wars

Post 24

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

have you considered a penguin as a pet?

They are quite docile, pleasant and good natured, although the initial training period is sometimes a little long, depending on how many similar critters you have trained before.

I have one myself, but am only just learning about it's care and feeding. I figger if I could learn command lines for TRS-80, Apple IIe and DOS, I could probably learn a few that actually made it possible to USE your computer.

And penguins get along quite nicely with fruit as well, like Macintosh Apples, f'rinstance


browser wars

Post 25

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

I'll try to lay hand on a NUN, if I can... most of them resemble penguins very well, and they are even capable of speech smiley - winkeye


browser wars

Post 26

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

I dont think nuns have the same technical capabilities as penguins. They excell in other areas. [although they DO dress alike--sometimes]

The penguin I am learning to care for decorates the version of Linux I am running on that ole pentium computer that I keep in the corner.


browser wars

Post 27

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Ah! Stupid me! I didn't think of THAT penguin at all. Sorry!

I'll be using my ole K6-233 as a nice prison for some penguin soon. smiley - smiley


browser wars

Post 28

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

Now, now, careful or the SPCP [society for prevention of cruelty to penguins] will get after you.

I like to think of it more as letting the penguin free the computer...

smiley - winkeye
blu


browser wars

Post 29

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

hi blu,

yer rite: that's a much better way to describe the punishment the penguin will recieve

smiley - winkeye
fessie


how to join

Post 30

Bruce

No worries - anytime.

;^)#


Wait no longer - Eeeek is here!

Post 31

Bruce

http://www.h2g2.com/P187355

;^)#


Key: Complain about this post