A Conversation for Japan

A12590462 - Japan

Post 101

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

That's just favouritism


A12590462 - Japan

Post 102

Rockhound

Right ho... the language section looked fine Opti, so I moved onto the arts. I moved the geisha section out of the footnote (I figured they were fairly iconic and deserved more attention!), and had a fiddle around. Not sure about the stuff about the fine novels, It almost reads like an incomplete list at the moment... so I left it be for now. And I added a bit about nihonto.

Please let me know if I'm doing too much or taking over (not my intention at all)

smiley - biro
SUBHEADER>The Arts

Japanese literature dates back to the Nara period (AD 710-94) when Japanese was written with Chinese characters in the chronicles Kojiki (Records of Ancient Matters) and Nihongi (Chronicles of Japan).

The Heian period saw the world's first true novel in the form of The Tale of Gengi by Murasaki Shikibu (973-1014). While the Kamakura period (1185-1335) saw the birth of a style called Shintokinshu. This was followed by Noh plays in the 15th century, which are based on the Buddhist belief of detachment. Noh plays are still acted out today and consist of four types of dance Music played during No performances is called Nogaku. It basically consists of a chorus, the Hayashi flute, the Tsuzumi drum, and other instruments. representing ritual, comic, prayer and warriors. Drummers and flautists usually accompany the characters in the performance. Other types of performance such as the Bunraku (puppet plays, usually accompanied with shamisen music) and Kabuki are also popular today and date back to the 16th and 17th centuries. Kabuki plays and dances feature male actors in all of the roles, colourful make up, rhythmical/poetic lines and elaborate sets. Kabuki actors have similar status in Japan to rock stars and footballers.

Ukiyo-e are the 'pictures of the floating world', woodblock printing/paintings, from the Edo period (and onwards) typically featuring landscapes, geisha, samurai, sumo, probably one of the most famous of which is 'In the Well of the Great Wave of Kanagawa' from Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji by Katsushika Hokusai. Other well known artists in this style include Suzuki Harunobu and Ando Hiroshige.

Music (Hogaku) is often played alongside performance. There are several types of traditional, Japanese music such as GagakuGagaku is ancient court music from China and Korea and is the oldest type of Japanese, traditional music., Biwagaku, Sokyoku, Shakuhachi, Shamisenongaku and Minyo. These can be split into different categories of folk music and art music. Folk music is reflective of work, dance, ceremony and feasts and is sometimes accompanied by hand clapping and instrumentsMusical instruments include the Biwa, koto or zither, Shamisen and Shakuhachi (flute).. Art music reflects the court and Shinto ceremonies and is accompanied by a male choir and musical instruments.

Dancing takes place in festivals, plays and various other events. In some of these there is even audience participation. Ballet, Kabuki, Rakugo, Awa Odori (Tokushima Prefecture) and Eisa are just some of the dances on offer in Japan.

Haiku is a mode of Japanese poetry, developed from the older hokku style by Masaoka Shiki (1867–1902). was popular during the Tokugawa period (1603-1867) taking over from Tanka and was written in calligraphy (shodoh). Matsuo Basho (1644-94) demonstrated this style magnificently. The fine novel was brought about in the 17th century and is reflected in Ihara Saikaku (1642-93). Then in 1887-89 The Drifting Cloud came into being by Futabatei Shime.

Geisha - gei means 'of the arts' and sha means 'person' so ultimately Geisha translates as a person of the arts. Geisha are not prostitutes but womenIn the past there were male geisha, but the term has evolved to refer specifically to women. specially trained in the arts such as nihon-buyoh (Japanese dance), Ikebana, poetry, etiquette, conversation, social graces and the tea ceremony.

Anime (animated cartoons) and Manga (comics/graphic novels) are one of the more modern types of Japanese art, and cover a wide variety of genres, ages and themes.
smiley - biro

Today in Japan, the sword is not considered a weapon but rather a unique cultural artefact and art form. The curved, single edged katana is distinctly Japanese item (probably best known due to Hollywood’s love affair and deification of it above all other edged weapons, and the legends of the samurai and ninja). At least four different craftsmen will work on the sword: the smith, the polisher, a hilt maker who makes thehabaki - a collar that fits around the blade, just above the tsuba(guard), the tsuka or grip, which is usually wrapped with silk cord; and the kashira or pommel cap. maker and a scabbard (or saya</I&gtsmiley - winkeye maker. The distinctive curve of the blade comes from the differential hardening process that gives the blade a hard edge and a softer spine. In Japan only a licensed sword smith can make a nihonto a traditionally made sword with a hamon and a mekugi ana, made from traditional material (tamahagane – a specific type of steel) and using traditional methods of forging. A maximum number of blades may be made in any one month. Some smiths attain the status of ‘living national treasure‘.
smiley - biro



'he' is a she smiley - laughsmiley - ok It would appear that my nom de plume is also masculine, or at least neutral smiley - winkeye


A12590462 - Japan

Post 103

Gnomon - time to move on

It's not favouritism; it is a response to your rudeness.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 104

Rockhound

Ooops!

'hamon' (temper line) and 'meguki ana' (a hole in the nakago or tang which secures the tsuka to the sword via a bamboo peg)


should have been in italics, and have the extra descriptions I added here.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 105

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I don't know how I come across online, but I am certainly not trying to be rude. I'm just saying whats on my mind (probably bluntly) as I see others doing the same.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 106

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

Opti, I think you need to relise that while most people in Peer Review are willing to help people, quite a few are recluctant to even look at your entries.

While most people will reserch and write an entry to the best of their abilities, a lot of the stuff you put into PR are poorly written, under reserched and socked ful of inacuracies. Given your track record of poorly throught out university projects, abandoning entries and ignoring questions & comments in threads, there are a lot of people who are becoming rather tired. And frankly, without their help, I doubt that many of your entries would progress any further than this forum.

Gnomon, GB and others have tried to help you and have been met with blunt comments and rudeness.

I don't even want to try and work out how much of his time Gnomon has spent helping people in PR, but trust me, it can be measured with a calender.

I know you want to be a proper writer, then learn from people like Gnomon and others who reserch their entries properly, are accepting of critism and can write in proper sentences.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 107

AlexAshman


"At least he is helping"

*jaw drops in dissapointment*

Nobody is obligated to help. This site lives on goodwill.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 108

Sea Change

Also unsubscribing.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 109

Rockhound

Ok. I've had a check through the entire article for typos, redundancies etc - see the following (long) list.
So eyes down for a full house, and 'here we go' (Chemical Brothers style-ee rather than the football chant, I feel. But I digress!)

smiley - biro Footnote 1 smiley - biro Recent earthquakes include the 2004 Chuetsu Earthquake and the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995. --> Recent major earthquakes include the 1995 Great Hanshin Earthquake and the 2004 Chuetsu Earthquake.
smiley - biro Kobe,Kyoto --> Kobe, Kyoto
smiley - biro from the Kamakura Bakufu (1192 - 1333) --> from when theKamakura Bakufu (1192 - 1333) was in charge
smiley - biro Then in 1867 Emperor --> In 1867, Emperor

smiley - biro Footnote 2 smiley - biro unite as one against the rest of the world. --> unite as one against the Allied Powers.
smiley - biro which have laid the foundations to its future --> which laid the foundations for its future
smiley - biro The Shinkansen --> The Shinkansen (or 'bullet train')
smiley - biro otherwise be missed and trams and taxis --> otherwise be missed, and trams and taxis

smiley - biro Chinese grammar. The Japanese writing system kana originally derived from China. --> Chinese grammar; the Japanese writing system kana was originally derived from China.
smiley - biro nihon-buyoh (Japanese dance), Ikebana, poetry, etiquette, conversation, social graces and the tea ceremony.
--> nihon-buyoh (Japanese dance), playing the Shamisen, Ikebana, poetry, etiquette, conversation, social graces and the tea ceremony.
smiley - biroTsukiyama Gardens (hill gardens), Karesansui Gardens (dry gardens) and Chaniwa Gardens (tea gardens) occur --> Tsukiyama Gardens (hill gardens, showing nature in minature), Karesansui Gardens (dry or zen gardens) and Chaniwa Gardens (tea gardens) occur.
smiley - biro While inside Ikebana and Bonsai occur which reflect on the beauty and nature of the great outdoors --> Inside, arts such as Ikebana and Bonsai are practised which reflect on the beauty and nature of the outdoors.
smiley - biro Bonsai also appear in Japanese culture and require a lot of looking after --> Bonsai are another part of traditional Japanese culture and require a lot of looking after.

smiley - biro Japan is also home to many animals --> Japan is home to many animals
smiley - biro and in restaurants and like --> and in restaurants, and like
smiley - biro tea ceremonies(Sadoh --> tea ceremonies (Sadoh
smiley - biro the bullet train (Shinkansen), --> the Shinkansen,
smiley - biro festivals section - I think a quick paragraph about the religions found in Japan would be good here (making the section 'Religion and Festivals') - what do you think?

smiley - biroHina Matsuri(the doll/girls festival), --> Hina Matsuri (the doll/girls festival),
smiley - biro The Mount Tsukuba ToadFestival --> The Mount Tsukuba Toad Festival
smiley - biro during summer and winter --> to both the summer and winter games
smiley - biro I'd be tempted to take out the bit about dance from this section. Add the bit about ballet etc in with the other dances you've mentioned in the 'Arts' section.
smiley - biro Fuku Warai(Fuku Warai --> Fuku Warai (Fuku Warai

smiley - biro monday through friday --> Monday through Friday
smiley - biro Ken Watanabe --> actor Ken Watanabe
smiley - biro Memoirs of a Geisha --> take out the footnote about geisha
smiley - biro The Seven Samurai fame --> The Seven Samurai

================================

I've tried not to re-write any more of it than I already have (not that all of it needs rewriting smiley - ok) as I don't feel it's fair when it's your entry Opti, not mine... it should be in *your* words: please don't get me wrong, I haven't minded doing the bits I have helped with, I just don't want to takeover.
I'll leave world domination for a cooler day. smiley - biggrin


A12590462 - Japan

Post 110

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I think the only section left to update is the festival section now.


A12590462 - Japan

Post 111

Rockhound

That was quick! smiley - disco

Do you want to write a quick paragraph covering Shinto and Buddhism to go in festivals? I couldn't find EG entries on them...


A12590462 - Japan

Post 112

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I have extended the festival part to some extent but

a) I could link the religion's to BBC entries
b) write in the definitions

what do people think is best?


A12590462 - Japan

Post 113

mikerhike - guardian of the wa, and now also of WA

I would link them.

According to a recent survey, 80% of Japanese people state their religion as Shinto, while 60% state Buddhism. These strange figures reflect the way in which the two religions happily co-exist, with people celebrating events and ceremonies from each religion.

nah - you need someone else to write this. Can't find the link either.

but this one maybe:

http://atheism.about.com/library/world/AJ/bl_JapanReligPractice.htm


A12590462 - Japan

Post 114

bobstafford

Hi

You have hit on the best idea yet Go for it


A12590462 - Japan

Post 115

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

smiley - sorry Bobstafford I don't understand your comment


A12590462 - Japan

Post 116

Rockhound

Any good?

smiley - biro
The two main religions in Japan are Shinto and Buddhism, though the two co-exist, and many Japanese follow both traditions. Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Hinduism are minority religions in Japan.

Shinto, the indigenous religion of Japan reveres nature, not differentiating between the spiritual and natural worlds. Kami (loosely translated as 'spirits') including gods, ancestral spirits and natural phenomena such as oceans, mountains, storms and earthquakes can influence different aspects of life, and respond to human prayers. Shinto has no sacred texts or icons, no founder. While there is no congregational worship per se, as well as private worship rituals within the home, followers make visits to public shrines for personal reasons (to request help or to give thanks) or at times of festivals.

Buddhism, specifically Zen Buddhism, spread to Japan in the 12th Century BC, and is a mixture of Indian Mahayana Buddhism and Taoism. Based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, Buddhists try to achieve enlightenment through practice and development of morality, meditation, and wisdom via the Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths. Similar to Shinto, worship can be at home or at temples.
smiley - biro

smiley - bluebutterfly


A12590462 - Japan

Post 117

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

'merci beaucoup pour ton aide'

very bad french i know - 'thankyou very much for your help'


A12590462 - Japan

Post 118

Rockhound

No worries! (and my french is pretty rusty smiley - winkeye)


A12590462 - Japan

Post 119

Rockhound

re: Dhinto is derivative of Shinto???.

I googled it, I think it may have been a typo: D and S are next to each other after all... so you could probably take out that bit. Rest of that paragraph seemed smiley - ok


A12590462 - Japan

Post 120

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

smiley - ok I've removed the Dhinto part.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more