Tips for Travellers to Fraser Island Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Tips for Travellers to Fraser Island

0 Conversations

Fraser Island
A History of Fraser Island | Tips for Travellers to Fraser Island
Fraser Island's Tourist Attractions | Lakes of Fraser Island | Tourism on Fraser Island

If you're visiting Fraser Island, there's a lot you'll need to know. At Hervey Bay and Rainbow Beach important brochures are given to every tourist visiting the Island. It is essential that you read this information for your own safety. This Entry also aims to provide some help.

Important Points

Keep the island beautiful

Fraser Island is exceptionally clean, with not much litter. This is especially the case because of the strict campaign to keep any food or food wastes away from dingoes (see below). If you're visiting the island, be very careful with your rubbish1. Rubbish attracts dingoes (who really will damage your health if you aren't careful), is an eyesore, and can also be hazardous to other wildlife - some foods can be poisonous, and plastics choke animals.

If you're staying in a resort on the island, there will be good waste disposal options. If you're camping it is even more important that you look after all your rubbish. Large rubbish and recycling hoppers are located at regular intervals on the main beach. Use them - there is absolutely no excuse!

Be Dingo Smart

The Queensland National Parks and Wildlife Service takes educating visitors about dingoes very seriously - and for good reason. Always remember that dingoes are wild animals and potentially very dangerous. Do not approach, tease or feed them. When walking around the island, it is best to go in pairs or groups. Stay close to your children (even young teenagers) at all times, and lock your food up very securely. There are very large fines for people who are careless with food, food wastes or fishing bait. Even leaving a tub of margarine out can cost you money! There are many ways in which you will find out about how to be dingo-smart in your behaviour, so watch out for leaflets, signs and rangers.

The Sun

Fraser Island is often extremely sunny and warm. To minimise sunburn, skin cancer and heatstroke - none of which are much of a giggle - wear sunblock, a hat and sunglasses. If you're wearing skimpy swimwear, remember to put sunblock on all exposed areas including your back and shoulders. However wearing a T-shirt when swimming is best, as it is better for both the water and you.

Signs

If you see a sign warning you not do something, obey the sign. It sounds rather obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people think that signs don't apply to them, and end up getting hurt.

Accommodation

Available accommodation on the island varies from camping grounds to villas.

Camping has many advantages. As well as being a lot of fun, it allows you to move around from one campsite to another which means less driving to get to places. It is a good chance to see a lot of local wildlife. Unfortunately, due to dingoes, extreme precautions have to be taken with your food - the little minxes will climb trees and rip open tents if they think there's food. A camping permit is required.

Other accommodation includes resorts, shacks and villas. Small shacks are quite cheap but not very comfortable. Resorts and villas are much more expensive, but they tend to have swimming pools. If you've got young children it's probably best to stay there.

Driving Around

The best2 type of car to have on the island is a vehicle with four-wheel drive, as these are the only cars that can cope well with the extensive driving on sand and through water without getting bogged. Large four-wheel drives such as Landcruisers are best. If you don't own a four-wheel drive, they can be hired on mainland Queensland for a fee.

1This includes cigarette butts. Some people seem to think that they don't count as rubbish.2It's really the only type.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A1135900

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more