A Conversation for Daily Log - John Ridgway Save the Albatross Voyage 2003-4

Making a Difference

Post 1

Websailor

In response to Nick's comments about whether one person can make a difference, I received this by email a long time ago. I thought it might be of interest to John, Marie Christine, Nick and the team.

MAKING A DIFFERENCE
ONE AT A TIME

A friend of ours was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at sunset. As he walked along, he began to see another man in the distance. As he grew nearer, he noticed that the local native kept leaning down, picking something up and throwing it out into the water.

Time and again he kept hurling things out into the ocean.
As our friend approached even closer, he noticed that the man was picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one at a time, he was throwing them back into the water.

Our friend was puzzled. He approached the man and said, "Good evening, friend. I was wondering what you are doing."
"I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all of these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they'll die up here from lack of oxygen."

"I understand," my friend replied, "but there must be thousands of starfish on this beach. You can't possibly get to all of them. There are simply too many. And don't you realize this is probably happening on hundreds of beaches all up and down this coast. Can't you see that you can't possibly make a difference?"

The local native smiled, bent down and picked up yet another starfish, and as he threw it back into the sea, he replied, "Made a difference to that one!"

Jack Canfield and Mark V. Hansen

I think it says it all.

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 2

Sam

Excellent! I like that story. The soon-to-be-completed voyage of the English Rose is of highly symbolic value, a very eloquent act which will be constantly referred back to, which will grow in our minds the longer time elapses. They really did their bit. What better way to make us do our bit?

Sam.smiley - smiley


Making a Difference

Post 3

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

I think a concern of John's is whether he has made a difference. I know he has made a difference. I know he has left things better. But can he convince himself that he has?

Travel hopefully...smiley - peacedove


Making a Difference

Post 4

Websailor

Hi, Sam

Nice to hear from you again. I am sure John & crew HAVE made a difference. It may take some time to see the fruits of their labour, but I don't think his speech could have failed to make an impact, after the dull boring talk that goes on at these meetings. I am sure his speech hit home, 'from the heart' and spoken with such conviction and personal involvement.

Wandering Albatross, I suspect that John's apparent pessimism has a lot to do with sheer exhaustion. I do not believe a man who can achieve all the things he has done in his life could really be a pessimist deep down.

He has such humility, and yet such pride, that I am sure he will succeed in the end.

Sam, I hope at some stage he will get the chance to read all the messages that have been flying around h2g2, and to learn of the support he has been getting. It was such a shame he couldn't respond from the yacht, as I am sure there would have been even more messages.

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 5

Websailor

Hi, WA,

Don't know where you are at the moment, but if you can take a look at John Ridgway's log you will see he has put up his email address and phone number. Check out the lst July We've Arrived entry.

I am sure he would love an email from a fellow seafarer. He tells me they felt very isolated out there, and are only just finding out how much support they had.

I think now, more than ever he needs a boost. Exhaustion is taking its' toll I think.

If anyone else who has followed this amazing voyage can send him a few lines of thanks and encouragement I am sure it would be appreciated.

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 6

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Morning Sailor,

Yes I saw the email address but was concious of not wanting to innundate John. Mind, I suppose it is a balance between consideration and support and encouragement. Well done and thank you for your efforts in co-ordinating and communicating. You too are making a difference. I'm sure we can keep up the pressure somewhere to "leave things a little better" for the Albatross.

Travel hopefully...smiley - peacedove


Making a Difference

Post 7

Websailor

He has a lot of emails to catch up with, but I think it is giving him a boost. I had a very brief but lovely reply.

I am sure he wouldn't have put the details up if he didn't want feedback.

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 8

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Morning Sailor,

Bit the bullet last night and sent John a congratulatory email. He must be innundated. Next question is how we continue to contribute ? I've been nipping around h2g2 hoping researchers will be curious enough to look at My Space. No response from Brian Viner. Maybe have another go at him....Travel hopefully....smiley - peacedove


Making a Difference

Post 9

Websailor

Hi, WA,

I am sure he would rather be inundated than living in a deafening silence smiley - smiley. I think that's what got to him at sea, thinking no-one cared.

I have have been wondering how we can push things forward too, but haven't come up with any ideas yet. I must check out how Ladbrokes Race for the Albatross is going. That should raise some serious money I would think.

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 10

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Didn't know about Ladbrokes. Can I get in via their website ?smiley - erm


Making a Difference

Post 11

Websailor

Yes, if you go on Ladbrokes.com and look for Big Bird Race it tells you all about it. Wouldn't normally mention such people online but this is for such a good cause, and they do make a point of supporting international and local good causes.

Not a betting person myself though other half was. I don't tell him he can bet on line - he isn't in to computers and I think it best it stays that way smiley - biggrinsmiley - rofl

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 12

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Well what a coincidence. I had just remembered to research the Ladbroke site, not allowed access by my lords and masters so will have to wait until this evening. Agree about the betting, never did trip my trigger, still anything for a good cause...smiley - peacedove


Making a Difference

Post 13

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit reading Royal mail
"Have you noticed 'Richard' dropped a letter < A2817146 >?"


Making a Difference

Post 14

Websailor

Thanks for that smiley - tit. I have added a comment. If anyone knows the answer to my question I would be grateful.

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 15

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Hi this is Nick here - now back in Australia and doing what I can with a series of talks on the Project.

I do think emails to John and MC would be helpful. John can get a bit down with things. Neither have been well since we returned.

Now the voyage is over and the far north of Scotland's short summer will soon be ending, they're worried about how they are going to get the yacht out of the water onto it's winter cradle - there are few hands to help now that the school is no longer running. Few high tides left before the wild winds of autumn. From here in Australia I can't help much.

Other issues we want to address include how to best revise these pages. John and MC had been planning to work through them and give me their request, but they haven't got to it yet. Obviously the Petition signing request needs to come out, and some sort of summary/conclusion needs to go up. Also I have a lot of photos and quicktime videos from the voyage that I'd be happy to share - but is anybody looking at the site now? Is there any point? Is there discussion we could have that would attract people, now that the voyage is past?

I'd love to hear any views.

Nick


Making a Difference

Post 16

Websailor

Hi, Nick, smiley - starsmiley - starand calling all HooToo Albatross fans,

I am glad to hear you are safely back home. I do hope you are well and recovered from your marathon voyage.

You may remember we spoke briefly while you were on the voyage (Thelma) I am so delighted to receive something of an update. I have been promising myself I would write to J & MC, but I thought they would be so busy, and also in need of a rest. I will now write.

I have been checking the Albatross site daily, and have to admit to being disappointed that there had not been the promised follow up. I suspect they are exhausted, and that everything will have gone "flat" after all the excitement and tension. I was looking forward to the photos too! I might even be able to access Quicktime video on my elderly computer which would be lovely!

There were many people following the voyage - I have a list of the h2g2 posters that I came across. I am sure they will be pleased to get an update. There are several of us that would push it round the site and anywhere else we can. h2g2's Ask the Community would be a good place to put an update and link. Apparently most people pop in there frequently and I have had good responses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/Askh2g2

I would have thought there would be a lot of people round Scotland with experience of boats who could help John, if asked. Local radio stations might be useful for that. If John's "students" over the years knew he needed help I am sure they would coming running, though I am equally sure he is too proud to ask!

I know there are some h2g2 posters with maritime experience which might produce some help, or perhaps you could make use of one of the yachting websites to ask for some help for John. So long as they were vetted so the help was useful and not a hindrance, I am sure there would be plenty of people who would be proud to help.

An update on the New Zealand site would surely bring some renewed interest. I cannot believe that 105,000 plus signatories are no longer interested.

I am sure that what dampened people's interest in the website was the fact that we could have no interaction with John and MC while they were afloat. It would have made such a difference to them and us.

I am sure people would like to know if there has been any further action since the Petition was handed in, and I am equally sure people would like to know how John & MC are faring and what they are doing now.

If there is anything I can do, via h2g2 or the BBC Nature Birdtalk message board please let me know. I am sure Traveller in Time smiley - tit and Wandering Albatross of this message board will help if they can.

Hi, Nick,

You may remember we spoke briefly while you were on the voyage. I am so delighted to receive something of an update. I have been promising myself I would write to J & MC, but I thought they would be so busy, and also in need of a rest. I will now write.

I have been checking the Albatross site daily, and have to admit to being disappointed that there had not been the promised follow up. I suspect they are exhausted, and that everything will have gone "flat" after all the excitement and tension. I was looking forward to the photos too! I might even be able to access Quicktime video on my elderly computer which would be lovely!

There were many people following the voyage - I have a list of the h2g2 posters that I came across. I am sure they will be pleased to get an update. There are several of us that would push it round the site and anywhere else we can. h2g2's Ask the Community would be a good place to put an update and link. Apparently most people pop in there frequently and I have had good responses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/Askh2g2

I would have thought there would be a lot of people round Scotland with experience of boats who could help if asked. Local radio stations might be useful for that. If John's "students over the years knew he needed help I am sure they would coming running, though I am equally sure he is too proud to ask!

I know there are some h2g2 posters with maritime experience which might produce some help, or perhaps you could make use of one of the yachting websites to ask for some help for John. So long as they were vetted so the help was useful and not a hindrance, I am sure there would be plenty of people who would be proud to help.

I am sure that what dampened people's interest in the website was the fact that we could have no interaction with John and MC while they were afloat. It would have made such a difference to them and us.

I am sure people will want to know if there is any further action as a result of the Petition, and I am equally sure they will want to know how John and MC are faring, and what they are doing now.

smiley - starsmiley - star Come on Hoo Too researchers, where are you?

Good to hear from you Nick, and thanks for the info.

Websailor
smiley - dragon





Making a Difference

Post 17

Websailor

Sorry to repeat myself. I don't know how that happened. Still if a thing's worth saying, it is probably worth saying twice smiley - blushsmiley - doh

Websailor
smiley - dragon


Making a Difference

Post 18

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Nick,

Hi, congratulations, what a difference you have all made and glad you're safely home. First off is trying to get John some assistance, if he needs it and that would be his call, to get the boat out of the water. The best I can do is contact a friend who sails and instructs with his Bowmore a little further South then Ardmore. He is instructing just now but will contact him. It is a long shot but the sailing community is pretty close and maybe they don't know there is a potential problem. Can only ask.

Second, what to do with the pages. I think you, we, all have time on our side, unlike the Albatross. The content will not loose interest just because the voyage is complete. The voyage was the focal point for raisng awaremness and it will always do that. It lead me to h2g2 and will do so for others. I think a summary with a news section and links to video, graphics and archived logs gives enough content to hold interest. The bigger value could come from the pages becoming a 'Knowledge Base' for the ongoing campaign. Considering HRH Prince of Wales and Matthew Parris have contributed indcates the scale of the impact. The trick will be publisisng the URL to get straight to the h2g2 pages and copyright permissions for articles. Hope this helps.

On a personal note reading the log has kept me motivated through a pretty shitty year. Comparing my own small contributions to all yours humbles me. Again, well done, you have made a diference.
Travel hopefully....smiley - peacedove


Making a Difference

Post 19

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Thank you both for your thoughts and offers.

I think John and MC might find it very encouraging if they received a few offers of help 'out of the blue' (with getting the boat out) from boating people in the area, as you suggest. The trouble is that people coming to help have to be hosted and looked after and it can all be more trouble than its worth - though I know J and MC would never say that. But people need to be sensitive to this.

I hear from Richard Creasey that some progress is starting to be made on the video. I'm about to send him copies of all my pics - 13 CDs worth - nearly 5,000. But that's encouraging.

I'm pleased you think it's worth retaining the website and updating it. It'll need a bit of concentrated work. Discussing this just before I left Ardmore John said he wanted to have a say in any changes, pics that went up, copy etc. Which is fine, but it makes it very slow to actually do anything. Right now we're completely bogged down I think.

I'm not really sure the best way to proceed. I'm also under a lot of pressure with work and I'm not sure I'll be able to give it as much time as I would like.

But I'm so pleased you found the daily log stimulating. Of course it was only part of the story each day, and only one person's view. I'm working on a PhD researching the effect of the Internet on Expedition Communication (I used the voyage as a base for practical research) and am now busy assembling a file for every day, (the official log, my own personal log, emails in and out, photos and video taken, weather data, interviews I recorded on MD that day etc) It's proving fascinating.

Nick


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more