A Conversation for Save The Albatross

???

Post 1

Peregrine, 22nd Duke of Earl ~ What would Magnum P.I. do ? ~

I don't wish to be churlish, but please could you tell me how this expedition will benefit the albatross?

Is there an element of danger in this trip which might attract some financial interest? I have to say that if there is, it has entirely escaped me. There is certainly no novelty in sailing to the Antarctic with a four/five man crew - what exactly is the point?

Furthermore, I am most surprised that no sponsorship has been obtained. Would not this have been a good idea? Even if the trip is an easy jaunt (as it is), had someone put their mind to it, some money might have been raised en route.

This is a very laudable cause, but I must say that I have the most sincere doubts about the management of the whole project.

I nevertheless wish the crew godspeed and fair winds!


The Value of Save The Albatross

Post 2

Sam

Well, you may have misgivings but the RSPB and Birdlife International wholly endorse John Ridgway's Save The Albatross project. And they should know! To quote Dr Euan Dunn, head of the marine team at RSPB:

"After drawing inspiration from the sea all his life, John's journey is a powerful gesture that will highlight not only the plight of albatrosses but also man's failure to properly look after our oceans. But above all it's a wake-up call to crack down on pirate fishing before albatrosses and other seabirds vanish from planet."

If you have time, you can read more about how the RSPB are right behind this project here: A1150606

John's expedition is of immense value in that he's bringing the plight of the Albatross to the attention of many. He's quite famous and very well respected. You will be reading about him (and Save The Albatross) in the newspapers, no doubt, in the coming months. And this is of great use to the Albatross. The more awareness, the more pressure there is on governments to act against those that use the illegal longline fishing methods which currently endanger the species.

It wasn't that he couldn't get funding - he *chose* to be completely independent! That way no one can boss him about.

As far as the 'element of danger' is concerned, I think you've undersetimated the journey a bit. Not only in terms of the condition of the seas in the Antarctic, but also in terms of John and the crew confronting hostile pirate ships in massive swells! How much danger do you want? smiley - smiley


albatross?, endangered!, can we help?

Post 3

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"Have you ever seen an albatross?
Did it occur to you the whole race is in danger (not just a single familly).
Spread the word, indeed a single 42m yacht will not do much.
Sign the petition (in time your local bird file system will have a list or should it be done via email, not very clear to us either)."

Elbot Propellownose (his nose very very very very shiny)
"Check out < A1322867 > in the mean time."

Sailor in Time cleaning the decks
"We are not only dropping dirt in the backyard, we are also harvesting the seas until nothing is left for our children."


The Value of Saving The Albatross

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

SnackSeller walking in
"Albatross to save! AAlbatross to save! < A552908 >"

Susan Winkle aka Traveller in Time, Susan Winkle aka smiley - tit on her head
"
one man.aged 65 years
knowing all the fears

on board _he_ is the boss
still admires the albatross

lonely bird in flight
wanders through the night

the captain and his crew
have just one question for you

42"


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more