A Conversation for The Iraq Conflict Discussion Forum

It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 201

clzoomer- a bit woobly

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWdresden.htm

For an interesting comment on the chain of events for Dresden.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 202

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Sometimes not even then, clzoomer. Jimmy and I for instance, do not believe anything we can't independently verify, that comes from anywhere south of Canada on that same land mass, if you understand me...


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 203

anhaga

Blatherskite:

"under the influence of the iron curtain." I assume you mean "behind the iron curtain".

thank you for the clarification. The three terms may not be applicable any more, but the Third World is still applied as though it refers to something. And, the people who live in what used to be the Third World are still living in the same place. It strikes me that the raising of the iron curtain just led to an ammalgamation of the First and Second worlds and the Third World is still sitting where it's always been: outside the theatre. And I still expect the doors of the theatre to be rushed sometime.


Removed

Post 204

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

This post has been removed.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 205

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

anhaga: "under the influence of the iron curtain." I assume you mean "behind the iron curtain".

No, I meant what I said. China, for instance, would not have been behind the iron curtain, but they were certainly under its influence, and were members of the Second World.


Removed

Post 206

starbirth

This post has been removed.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 207

starbirth

The only way to get a fair idea of what is going on in the world is to access as many sources as possible. If at all possible talk with people who live or have been to the area in the world you are inqiuring about. However if you have not seen it with your own eyes and experienced it with your own lives it is at best 'heresay'
That at least is my humble opinion smiley - winkeye


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 208

starbirth

*the Third World is still sitting where it's always been: outside the theatre. And I still expect the doors of the theatre to be rushed sometime.*



Anhaga, It has been that that way since man gave up the hunter/gatherer way of life and built his first settlement. {I am not condoning} While the idea of the Deprived and desenfranchised throwing off the chains of oppression invokes visions of horrifying societal unrest or even ultimate social uptopia, it is merely the same as it ever was. The gulf between the two worlds is great and the ammorments wholly one-sided.

Perhaps one day the human race will mature. Perhaps


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 209

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Meantime, we're not exactly holding our breath... Just because ever since the first settlements there has been deprivation, that doesn't mean it should always or has to always be that way! Bono's campaign against 3rd world debt to the World Bank is a start, tho' TIME magazine sneered at him (no surprises there, I see)smiley - cat


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 210

clzoomer- a bit woobly

The media seems to have taken a decidedly small *c* conservative bent. They all seem to be holding their breath until the unpleasantness ends. If this is a new era, it is one without precedent it would seem. The parallels with the US and the old League of Nations are unavoidable, but rather simplistic. At the same time I can't understand how such a large part of the media is considering the questioning of actions and purposes to be some kind of disloyalty. And the change in polls is laughable. Everyone getting on the bandwagon now that the end is near.

smiley - sadface


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 211

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Yes, we see that here in NZ... craven people apologising because our PM upset the 'amour propre' of Msieur Shrub... The triumphalism of the news media is sickening. I vow I shan;t change my tune - I am *still* against the Unpleasantness and always will be!smiley - peacedove


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 212

clzoomer- a bit woobly

smiley - cheers

I am against the method, if not the act. Just like the League, for what ever reason, the UN is going to die as a protective force.

smiley - sadface


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 213

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I think it's very important that it *doesn't* die. It is more necessary than it ever was, that there is some international rule of law, or even an attempt at such. A neutral venue for it would be a good start - I put it in Paris in an sf story I wrote about events 80 years hence, growing out of the present Unpleasantness.
Unlike you. clzoomer, I am against both the method and the act. The invaded place was a sovereign nation - no other country had the right to force any change of any sort. The result so far seems to be worse than the previous 'dictatorship' at least for everyone but H*llib*rt*n!smiley - alienfrown


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 214

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Oh, please, don't get me wrong. The *act* is reprehensible, but if it had been agreed on by the world community, I would have gone along. Such is democracy.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 215

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Yes, and many members of that alleged democracy voted against the act because they were making so much money off the villain. They were making that money by selling things that the alleged democracy had all agreed the villain was not to have.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 216

clzoomer- a bit woobly

We will wait and see. If a military base is not set up there within the year in order to phase out the one in Saudi Arabia I have a hat in the closet I am willing to eat.

smiley - biggrin


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 217

starbirth

*Meantime, we're not exactly holding our breath... Just because ever since the first settlements there has been deprivation, that doesn't mean it should always or has to always be that way! Bono's campaign against 3rd world debt to the World Bank is a start, tho' TIME magazine sneered at him (no surprises there, I see) *


Della, that is the reason I put { I do not condone} in. I have seen Bono in his meetings with James Wolfensohn a while back and his touring with Paul O'niel in Africa. He is actaully a intelligent person from what I have read of him. Funny thing is that when I tried to set up an appointment with ole JF his secretary said he was all booked up.

Same as it ever was smiley - winkeye


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 218

starbirth

*Yes, and many members of that alleged democracy voted against the act because they were making so much money off the villain. They were making that money by selling things that the alleged democracy had all agreed the villain was not to have.*

You got that one right. Not one of the 5 on the security council's hands are clean on this one.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 219

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

zoomer: I can also envision a military base in the area's future. Does it really have to be the result of insidious planning, as I believe you imply? Can't it just be the result of tighter cooperation between two sovereign nations in light of recent events? After all, that's how the US military got bases in the UK, and both sides appear to be perfectly content with the arrangement.


It's Saddam, it's Bush

Post 220

sprout

It is difficult to imagine the new Iraq being 'sovereign' in any meaningful sense of that word at any time in the next five-ten years.

Sprout


Key: Complain about this post