A Conversation for h2g2 Society of Time Travellers

On Birthdays

Post 1

Penny Whistle

Okay, so here's a question. How do you people cope with Birthdays?

Do you come back to your own time after keeping a perfect record down to the millisecond of how much time you spent in another time?

Do you not return to the exact moment that you left, and instead just jump to however much time has passed?

Do you just ignore the problem entirely, and return without considering how much you've aged while you were away?

I go with the second solution as much as possible, and the first one when necessary, just so that I can always keep the same birthday in real time. I think I've only lost about seven hours in all my time travelling experience, but it's tedious to keep up.


On Birthdays

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"I always tought birth days where fixed dates in a certain continuum. Totally unrelated to your actual age smiley - smiley."


On Birthdays

Post 3

Penny Whistle

Well, I suppose that "they date of my birth" is a fixed day. However, "the upcoming date marker demonstrating how much I have aged" is not a fixed day.

They're actually two totally different days, yet they occur at the same time for non-travellers.

However, where integers represent days, and the variable B represents one's Birthday, and Y represents the day where you can say that you have aged a year, it's easy to see how this can be different for time travellers.

Person who has never time travelled:
Y=B

Person who has travelled a day into the future and never travelled back:
Y=B-1

Person who has travelled a day into the past and never travelled back:
Y=B+1

Person who spends a week in another timeline, and returns to the exact same moment that they initially left:
Y=B-7

I think the difference is in determining your birthDAY and your birthDATE.smiley - winkeye


On Birthdays

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Trveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"For half the population they already do change it an hour. "


On Birthdays

Post 5

Penny Whistle

True, true....however, as I'm not ever on the census countings, I can't possibly be in half of any population, can I?smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more