A Conversation for The H2G2 French Language Help Desk

What has happened to the h2g2 French desk?

Post 1

Reality Manipulator

Hello, I am just asking if the French Help desk is still operating. As I am the only one here ask for help, I wonder what has happened?

Sadly I have no-one to practice French with and I thought I would get help here with my course work. There are alot of French speakers on h2g2, so why the lack of interest. I won't help attract new interest from researchers wanting to learn the language.


kat


What has happened to the h2g2 French desk?

Post 2

Loup Dargent

smiley - run

A very quick answer before going offline again...

There can be many reasons why there is not much demand at the moment...

One of them could be the need for more advertising [hopefully sorted soon]...

Also the fact that there are other French related threads on h2g2... though most of them are for conversations, help with the language itself is also given there...
Which might mean a different approach being needed to make this project different... Perhaps some specific themes etc... Dunno yet, will have a think and come back to you on that one...

The main problem at the moment is that those who volunteered to help with the project are having difficulties in being online a lot lately...
A bit like myself as i keep pointing out...

As they [and myself] are _only_ volunteers, it has to be expected [and understood] that there will be times like that... Real Life and all that not always agreeing with our online one unfortunately...

What's needed is a few more people with a good enough knowledge of French to join the Helpers team so that even if we all have a limited online time queries can be answered relatively fast...

That seems to be the gest of it for the moment...

Talk soon...smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon


What has happened to the h2g2 French desk?

Post 3

Reality Manipulator

smiley - cheersThanks loup, there is one thing I do not like doing and that is in any language and that is shopping, especially food shopping.smiley - hug Two phrases I tend to get mixed up is l'addition and the other one for the bill but I cannot remember the word. I do not when to use l'addition or the other one.smiley - smiley

I hope you are keeping well.smiley - hug

kat


What has happened to the h2g2 French desk?

Post 4

Loup Dargent

"L'addition" would be when in a restaurant or a cafe...

"La note" seems to be another alternative...


But if it's "la facture", then it would be when you're being billed for something like after receiving goods/items you've ordered...

I can't elaborate much on that right now as i have to go offline unfortunately...

One thing though... if we could keep this thread for postings related to the French HelpDesk situation and how to improve it [as in: how making it different etc...] and use the other threads for queries that would be great... could be a good thing as well if we do "Topic threads" [or whatever we will call them]... then, anyone visiting this project will know what kind of subject they will be able to have a look at when accessing a thread...
Just a thought but that might help give this project a [relatively] professional image... It will also help those who are helping as they will only have to access the threads where they know they can help... which is a good thing when faced with the constraints of a limited online time...

smiley - ok Almost started a lengthy post there..smiley - yikes Got to go but will keep thinking of ways to make this project different while offline...

Talk soon...smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon


What has happened to the h2g2 French desk?

Post 5

You can call me TC

I have been roped in and answered a few questions on another thread. It is very difficult though, as I have no idea how to explain the pronunciation or the rules. It's far easier to explain German.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more