A Conversation for Walls

Peer Review: A10150480 - Walls

Post 1

Think-Am

Entry: Walls - A10150480
Author: Think-Am - U2111883

I'm not sure if this'll work for the Edited Guide. This would be my first, so I'm giving it a shot.


A10150480 - Walls

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

You've made a good start here, well done smiley - applause

Walls around dwellings also serve to keep adverse weather out, and keep heat in (or in hot places where they have aircon, to keep the cool in), and also to hold up the roof. In poor, hot places they sometimes do away with walls altogether, and hold the roof up aith poles. Do fences count as walls?

The Berlin wall didn't separate East and west Germany (that would have made it *huge*), but walled in part of the city that belonged to the 'west', but that was actually located in the East.


A10150480 - Walls

Post 3

laconian

Use the and tags to make a proper numbered list for the 'Definition' section. Also, I think it would be better if you included the example along with the use. Eg. "1. To keep things in. Zoos use walls to stop animals escaping."

I think this could do with some more detail. Perhaps a bit about the construction of defensive walls. I don't know much about it, but I know that construction changed radically with the advent of cannon. They became a lot thicker and sloped more. There is also a technique for making walls more resistant to projectiles from siege weapons. Two cladding walls were built, and the space in between was filled with rubble and quicklime. This gave the wall a little 'flexibility', meaning it was harder to destroy using catapults and the like.


A10150480 - Walls

Post 4

Mina

You could also mention this wall - A2266832smiley - ok


A10150480 - Walls

Post 5

U168592

This is a good Entry too A4094624smiley - winkeye


A10150480 - Walls

Post 6

Think-Am

Thanks everybody for the critique! Let's see...
Yes, I should add the walls of houses, and yes, fences count as walls.

I'll use the and tags in it too.
And I'll update the construction of walls to fit your explanation.

Thnx everybody! smiley - dontpanic


A10150480 - Walls

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

interesting entry smiley - ok

I don't have anything to add right now, but I'll have a ponder and come back.
smiley - smiley


A10150480 - Walls

Post 8

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Some further ideas:

Alls of Jericho/Joshua's trumpets.

Under 'Fortified Encampments'> Maiden Castle, Dorset; Hadrian's Wall, Antonine Wall, Offa's Dyke.

Dry-stone walls

Sea Walls (Groynes)

Retaining walls

Decorative walls (eg attached ro some historic buildings, enclosing special gardens. Ha-ha - type of sunken wall used in landscape gardening to create an invisible boundary that does not interrup the view beyond a garden ti parkland beyond.

Wall as habitats for creatures, esp,. dry-stone walls (algae, millipedes, ants, woodlice, earwigs, spiders)

Expressions in English language: 'To bang one's head against a brick wall' > strong, impenetrable problem.

smiley - smiley


A10150480 - Walls

Post 9

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Ref Berlin Wall: This was built in 19621 by E.Gerna govt to stop E.German citizens from leaving for W.Ger. WQall was 42 km (26 miles) long, built of concrete slabs, and heavily guarded. Wall torn down (I have some pieces which I personally knocked outsmiley - smiley)in Nov 1989 when Ger was reunited.


A10150480 - Walls

Post 10

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Ref Gt. Wall of China: This wall is the longest structure ever built, at almost 6400 km (4000 miles) long. Designed to protect China's N. border. Constr. may have begun in 5th Century BC, though most built in 15th and 16th Centuries. smiley - smiley


A10150480 - Walls

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

is this a good time to trot out:
Walls have ears.... I know, I just found one in my ice-cream?

smiley - run


A10150480 - Walls

Post 12

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

smiley - laugh


A10150480 - Walls

Post 13

Think-Am

Hopefully you mean 1962, since the year 19621 hasn't come yet. And I don't think I need to add too much information to specific walls. If readers would want to know, they probably would've gone to that page in the first page. And besides, they can click the link the editors provide.

I'll add some stuff about the English expressions.

I'll add the Jericho Wall since it's the first wall recorded. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't read the Bible for a while)


A10150480 - Walls

Post 14

Cyzaki

How about the walls that are used for keeping roofs up? Or for dividing rooms (and what about partition walls in offices etc)?

smiley - panda


A10150480 - Walls

Post 15

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

'I don't think I need to add too much information to specific walls. If readers would want to know, they probably would've gone to that page in the first page'.

Except that the Entries on both the Berlin Wall and the Great Wall of China are not Edited.

Also, I don't think it is outside the wscope of an Entry entitled 'Walls' to say s'thing like, 'The longest wall every builyt was the Gt Wall of China...' smiley - 2cents


A10150480 - Walls

Post 16

Think-Am

Oh, yeah, I'll do stuff like that. I'd say things about walls like that the Great Wall of China is the longest, but I wouldn't turn the article into one about the Great Wall. *grabs money*


A10150480 - Walls

Post 17

Cyzaki

I don't think this entry is ready for Peer Review yet. How about moving it into the Edited Guide Writing Workshop until it's a bit more complete?

smiley - panda


A10150480 - Walls

Post 18

Think-Am

Yeah, I'll do that.


A10150480 - Walls

Post 19

echomikeromeo

How about another somewhat metaphorical wall - Pink Floyd's album?


A10150480 - Walls

Post 20

Think-Am

Why didn't I think of that? I don't really understand its concept though. Maybe Wikipedia or this Guide itself could lighten things up for me...


Key: Complain about this post