A Conversation for The Unofficial h2g2 Rock Music Society...

fasion in rock

Post 1

sir_eatalot

lets face it jimmy page dressed like a down right fool in Led Zeps hey day. Hendrix wore the most way out shirts ( n e one know where to buy ones like em?) and angus young wore and still wears a school boy outfit.

If these ledgends can wear this wierd crap and still rock harder then who cares what people wear, shorely its the music that counts. MOST classic rock stars and modern ledgends (like Slash and Zakk wylde) jus wear dirty motorhead tshirts and leathers.
So why everytime I open kerrang or talk to rock fans are they talking about what some emo band looks like and how cute the lead singer is and how cool their clothes are. Surely rocks the music and gettin sweaty, drinkin beer, making out and playing stupidly loud music.

N e one else have thaights on this?smiley - cheers


fasion in rock

Post 2

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

Musicians always dress flamboyantly - it's part of the whole deal. I don't think Queen would have got so much attention were it not for their on-stage outfits and antics. Of course once they were in the public eye, then we heard the music.

The fact that rock stars just wear leathers/jeans/duff t-shirts is a symptom of the fact that the 'fun' is disappearing from rock. It's all deadly serious. Thank The Darkness (love 'em or hate 'em) for injecting a bit of a laugh back into rawk.

Not'arf.
smiley - chick


fasion in rock

Post 3

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

Because Kerrang! is little more than a teeny-bop mag in tatty leathers. Try Terrorizer, they concentrate on the rock rather than the image and also aren't afraid to properly delve into the underground (and by that I mean the 'proper' underground, not groups of copycats who are on the verge of getting signed anyway).

But, at the end of the day, image is an essential part of rock in all it's forms. Imagine a black metal band without the corpse paint, or a glam band without all the sparklies, or even an indie band without the baggy t-shirts and greasy bowl cuts... it doesn't work does it?


fasion in rock

Post 4

Tabitca

try reading Classic Rock magazine.The idea of rock was to shock ,to be different...I know I was there...and am still a rock fan at 50.
Things have to evolve and they may not aways change how you want them to but life moves on and fashions and even how we speak changes. Paul Rodgers however still has a geat bum...and he's older than me


fasion in rock

Post 5

Tabitca

great ...sorry..its all the excitement at my age you know...


fasion in rock

Post 6

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

smiley - drool somebody fetch a mop smiley - drool.

Sorry to disillusion you but most stage apparel is decided by the record company these days at least until the first contract comes up for renewal and the band has been successful enough to start dictating these things. And the 'dirty' tee shirts are very carefully 'distressed' smiley - winkeye. Unfortunately the bands themselves get caught up in all the hype and start believing in their own images. One of the saddest sights I've seen recently was Mickey Mars, ~9 months after a double hip replacement plodding around a stage in 6 inch heels with 3 inch platforms.

Tabitca's right, ditch Kerrang, the only half decent thing they do these days is the TV channel. Classic Rock's a much better mag - half the 'old' Kerrang & Metal Hammer staff work there now smiley - cheers


fasion in rock

Post 7

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

Luckily I avoid that kind of band... I can't imagine Gorerotted allowing Metal Blade to choose their stage apparel for them.


Key: Complain about this post