A Conversation for Glastonbury Festival Meetup

Where?

Post 1

PQ

Just thought I'd start a thread to decide where/when to meet (not to mention the how to recognise each other problem).

I've only been to one other internet meet and that was at a restauraunt and it was just a case of asking for the table booked for yahoosmiley - winkeye.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2000/sitemap.shtml is the clearest map I've found of the site. I think Bob suggested meeting at the stone circle which would be cool (only problem being last time I went I wondered round for an afternoon failing to find itsmiley - silly).

Alternatively I was going to suggest the kids field for bodger and badgersmiley - silly....

So any thoughts....


Where?

Post 2

PQ

Oh and another good couple of maps (with grid references) here: http://www.wherever.me.uk/Glasmapref/


Where?

Post 3

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

never having been before, i really dont know where would be best. stone circle sounds cool to me tho. theres a photo of me on the net-would prob help if you know what i looked like!! go to www.whitweb.tk, then into leavers do, page 3, and i'm on the right in 'a random trio'!!
any ideas about where the best place is to camp? is it useful being near the car park?


Where?

Post 4

BobTheFarmer

I've always camped over in the direction of the green fields. You dont want to camp by the dance tent- thats where 90% of stuff gets nicked from, and the bit by the pyramid stage always fills up first, is extra busy, but does allow a view of the main stage if you're in the right place. I like it by the green fields, you can go and socialise with hippies, and its near to everything-including the stone circle and the firewood pile. The car parks are a bit of a trek away from the festival anyway.

To find out what I look like go here and look for a pic of me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/plain/A946550

And is everyone aware that the only phone company with total coverage at Glasto is Orange?


Where?

Post 5

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

yeah, greenfields sounds nice, but clare says its quite a way away from everything. she camped by the radio 1 tent last year i think-they were under a security tower, so didn't get anything nicked


Where?

Post 6

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

yeah, i heard about the orange thing. i'm o2, have always had good coverage in glastonbury town, so will have to hope i guess.


Where?

Post 7

BobTheFarmer

Last year I camped 2 mins away from the glade, 5 mins away from the other stage, 5mins away from the stone circle and close to everything I wanted to be close to...


Where?

Post 8

Zarniroop (er.... I'll think of something amusing to put here soon!)

Sounds like bob camped in "Holts Field" Probably the best campsite at the fest as it's very central, flat and not usually to full, though it is prone to flooding! Krishnas camp in that field and hand out frre slop which passes as food!
I'm camping about as far north as u can be as i'm in a crew camping area!
Can't find the stone circle!!!???? Well, it often gets surrounded by a few thousand hippies!
Best place i can suggest to meet up is "The meeting place"!! Quite central, and lots of nice seats and shade! Personally, i usually meet people by the cider bus, as i don't mind waiting if they're late!
On the subject of phones, orange actually put up a tempoarary transmitter to handle the thousands of extra phones, every other network is totally swamped with the demand, bear in mind it is a very rural area and the rest of the year only has to cope with a few hundred users!
Otherwise i'd suggest meeting up in one of the lil cafes up in the green fields, tiny tea tent or half-moon cafe being highly recommended!
I'm going down this sunday! Though voluntary commitments may well prevent me from meeting up, as i don't know when i'm working til i get there! photo of me at http://profiles.yahoo.com/ru42pert have fun and remeber to check the guide entry at A480304

z


Where?

Post 9

PQ

Campwise I'm torn between pennards hill (although I don't like the sound of the hill part of thatsmiley - winkeye), holts or the dragon fields...I thought holts might be a bit crowded because it's so central.

I was going to wait until I got there and see how I felt (and see how much walking I can be arsed to do) before deciding.

I'm still torn as to whether to bring one of my ball gowns (for hubby's works xmas parties - ultraformal but great fun) to get into the casino in lost vagueness, I might wait and see how full/heavy my bag is looking when I pack it on saturday (probably with my head stuck in the new harry potter book (good things come in 3s so I'm expecting to win the lottery after glastosmiley - silly)).

My phone's with orange, and I understand (inside info from hubbies workmate (this bloke http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/2001/stalker.html ) who works on the website, that the although orange are the only network to have a mast within the site the other networks have arranged for temporary masts just outsidesmiley - ok

As for photos...this (http://www.soton.ac.uk/~ich/spain2000/spain07.jpg ) is the best one I've got online and it's from Easter 2000 so it's a little out of date (I've still got the same top thoughsmiley - laugh and I will be bringing it with me...all my crappy old clothes (and ball gown) are getting dug out in an effort to hang onto my half decent stuff)


Where?

Post 10

BobTheFarmer

It wasnt Holts field, it was just over the old railway embankment, west of the green futures... Probably gonnaa try to get around there again this year...


Where?

Post 11

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

sounds like a good place, clare can be pretty stubborn tho. will prob camp with her, then move if i don't like it. will try and get a say in where we are tho smiley - smiley. the dragon field sounds fun-i saw some pics of it online. really excited now smiley - wow!


Where?

Post 12

Zarniroop (er.... I'll think of something amusing to put here soon!)

Wow Bob!
That's pennard hill! biggest camping field at the fest, i dunno how people can find their tents in this one, unless they arrive on the wednesday and pitch by the gate! Also the most crime ridden area after the area around the dance tent, good luck to ya!
Dragon field is pretty nice, just a long way from the stages!

What time/day is everyone else getting there?

Z.


Where?

Post 13

BobTheFarmer

Im arriving on Thursday evening... Ill be finishing work, grabbing my sh*t and getting on down there.

Zarniwoop, do you work every year? Do you know a group from Bristol-Craig/Emma/Jeff/Leo? They're mates of mine who work glastonbury every year...

As for finding a tent in pennards hill, I have the equivalent of a built-in GPS/homing device, which works permanently, even when my body and brain is chemically and organically f*cked.
I always end up guiding people around places, a natural route-finder.


Where?

Post 14

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

i'm getting there on wednesday lunchtime-ish, with rosemary (phin) and clare, then andrew's coming down on thurs-he's been picked for a concert on wed nite smiley - sadface. will give me time to get orientated and do (some of) my shopping before he arrives tho-he's not a big shopper! smiley - winkeye


Where?

Post 15

PQ

I'm planning on leaving home at my normal (going to work) time 7:30amsmiley - groan on the wednesday so I'll probably be in (ie past the gates) around 10/11ish which will give me a chance to wonder round the shops and get my bearings (last time I went in 97 there was no point having any bearings because the mud made walking anywhere a pain in the arse...ended up following the crowd out of necessitysmiley - sadface) and fall asleep in the sunshine in the afternoon.

This is of course the "plan" and so will end up being forgotten completely when I sleep in, get halfway to dorchester before remembering that my tent is still at home and getting lost completely somewhere around yeovil and ending up driving halfway around somerset and devon before following a likely looking campervan back to the site...in which case I'll probably arrive on thursday nightsmiley - silly


Where?

Post 16

BobTheFarmer

Good thing about living in Bristol, particularly where I used to live, is that you can always hitch a lift... At my parents house the main road is the road to Glasto, so for as long as I can remember theres been that part of the year when the main road is full of VW campers, cars packed full of bags and buses.
However, it was always annoying to be on the bus back from Glasto and have to go straight past my house into the centre to disembark.


Where?

Post 17

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

i live closer than both of you i think-is only half an hour drive from our house, which is nice. means i can get up fairly late on wednesday morning (having had my last exam tues afternoon) and make my way down there in time for lunch-ish.
btw-wots the food situation like? is there anywhere on site where we can by raw stuff to bbq? (veggie sausages would be nice!)


Where?

Post 18

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

just heard on the glasto msg boards that o2 are increasing coverage, so i'll be alright. btw, PQ, did you get my email in the end?


Where?

Post 19

PQ

Yup - all present and correct...reply on its way asap...


Where?

Post 20

Zarniroop (er.... I'll think of something amusing to put here soon!)

Damn! I had a list of things to do before setting off, don't remember where i put it tho!
Wanted to add a crate of sosmix to the list,just in case arwen can't get veggie sossies on site (I seriously doubt it, as they're usually refrigerated!), BBQ's??? Not very friendly(eco or people) or safe at glasters, go into wilko's they've got these wicked gas stove (come in a small laptop size case and gas at £1.50 a go, last about 2 days)

I've "worked" evrey year since 97 at glasters, but so do a good few thousand other people, what do yr mates do bob? I've been doing lock-ups for brighton and brum, sort of alternately, know most of the regulars on that but that's only 50 or so out of several thousand who volunteer to get a guarnteed "free" ticket each year.

This year i got an "on-site" pass for my smiley - bus! No more slumming it in a tent, got fridge, 2 ring stove and grill, bed and only have to worry about guy ropes on the awning! smiley - biggrin Only thing is, it's in a crew only area, so i won't be able to invite u back! smiley - tongueout

Got my rota, but ned the work pc to decipher the file smiley - sadface
Might be able to meet up, Looks like thursday eve cud be good, my first vote is for the cider bus, second one - meeting place (they got txt message board there!)
apologies for the excess brackets

gotta go look for a list now!
smiley - footprints
smiley - eurekaI've got it! Write the list on my smiley - towel
Zsmiley - peacesign


Key: Complain about this post