A Conversation for How to Use a Zebra Crossing in the UK

Don't be fooled...

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

..by zebra crossings in France. You don't have right of way over the traffic when you are on one and the drivers can (and will) attempt to kill you while you cross.

The zebra crossings in France just indicate the safest place to cross, ie where you will get the best view of the road in both directions, or where cars are expected to be travelling slowly.

smiley - ok


Don't be fooled...

Post 2

Derek

Which is probably part of the reason that France has pretty poor road death statistics (although there are other reasons).

The UK, while having the best road death stats overall in Europe, is not good on pedestrian death rates (despite the zebra crossings).

Italy is second to the UK on overall road deaths (in Europe) and has very low pedestrian death rates, possibly because the onus is on the car driver in the event of a mishap in a built up area involving a pedestrian to explain why they hit them.

Regards

Derek


Don't be fooled...

Post 3

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I am astounded to hear that pedestrian road deaths are low in Italy - after a few weeks in Rome I got used to the 'close-your-eyes, move-your-feet-and-pray' method of crossing roads there. Really terrifying! If I had know all that I'd have felt much more confident about crossing (maybe). No way will I attempt driving though smiley - yikes


Don't be fooled...

Post 4

Derek

I was suprised too. I suspect they are terrifying but accurate.

Outside the cities, in towns and villages, car traffic is quite circumspect about pedestrians. If you wonder into the road (wherever) they will slow down and avoid you.

Regards

Derek


Don't be fooled...

Post 5

Whisky

Believe it or not... pedestrians do have legal priority when using a crossing...

But try arguing that from a hospital bed after just being flattened by a drunken frenchman in a 2CV


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more