A Conversation for Relaxation Techniques

um, the prayer

Post 1

the fire and the rose are one

Gee, I hate for my first comment to be critical (or worse, pedantic...) after being off the board for so long, but I have to point out that the prayer at the end is definitely not St. Francis's. "The Serenity Prayer" is usually attributed to US theologian/Depression-era religious activist Reinhold Niebuhr. It was at some point adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous and is sometimes referred to as "the AA prayer".

Here's St. Francis of Assisi's prayer:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

Cheers all.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more