A Conversation for American Diner Slang

Some thing is not clear...

Post 1

Mina

The two bits of slang that I've never understood are 'over easy' and 'sunny side up'. I can vaguely guess what the second one is as I'm not that stupid... but the other one is a complete mystery...


Some thing is not clear...

Post 2

JD

"Over easy"? That's just where you try to flip the eggs just once when frying them, nice and easy so as you don't break the protective layer the white has made around the yolk. The eggs aren't cooked as long as normal "fried eggs" so the yolk stays nice and runny when you start to eat 'em. Hence, over easy. If you just ask for just "fried eggs" chances are they'll come out with a solid center yolk - if this is what you like (like me), you can always say, "over hard." I've been asked what I meant by that a couple times, I don't think it's very common any more.

Of course, you probably guessed that "sunny side up" is where you fry them eggs without flipping them, so the yolk looks just like a sun on a white background.

Man, I love this entry - makes me hungry, but I've just eaten my lunch - maybe I'll have an Eve with the lid on. smiley - winkeye


- JD


Some thing is not clear...

Post 3

Gladly, the cross-eyed bear

The "over" bit refers to turning over a fried egg so that the white covering the yolk is cooked opaque. "Easy" is used to express the desire to keep the yolk whole during this operation. Usually a situation of hope over experience.

You were probably right about the "sunny side up" bit....

Happy eating.
smiley - scientist


Some thing is not clear...

Post 4

JD

Whole, yes, but also soft and runny. Otherwise it's an "over hard" egg. smiley - smiley


- JD


Some thing is not clear...

Post 5

Mina

Thanks very much, that does clear things up a lot for me. smiley - biggrin As I like my fried eggs crispy and solid I'll make sure that I avoid asking for eggs like this should I even find myself in the States. smiley - cheers


Some thing is not clear...

Post 6

GTBacchus

It took me a while to work out all the variations of a fried egg. Before they're flipped, they're 'sunny side up'. Once you flip them over (carefully!) they're 'over easy' as long as the yolk's still very runny. That means you only cook the other side for a few seconds. Any longer, and the yolk begins to solidify. That's 'over medium'. Once the yolk's solid all the way through, they're 'over hard'. After that, they're burned.

I like to order 'over medium', because you never quite know what you'll get. Every cook seems to interpret that order differently. (How else are you going to work a little adventure into your breakfast?)

smiley - chick


Some thing is not clear...

Post 7

Mina

smiley - laugh


Some thing is not clear...

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

If you want adventure order the bubble and squeak - you know there are going to be spuds in it, but what else? smiley - winkeye


Some thing is not clear...

Post 9

Gladly, the cross-eyed bear

Brussels sprouts, butter, cream and bacon. All mashed together with the spuds, refigerated, made into patties then fried in bacon fat. They literally bubble and squeak as they cook. I think some people use cooked cabbage as well / instead of the sprouts.
smiley - scientist


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more