A Conversation for American Diner Slang

86 it.

Post 1

Baron Grim

I recently watched a programme on the History Channel (US) about prohibition. On it they mentioned another possible origin for the term 86. It comes from a famous "speak-easy"(illegal bar) in Boston (maybe New York... been awhile since I've seen it and I really wish I could remember the name of the place) that had a back way out in case of a raid. The exit went through a nondescript doorway on the next street over from the main entrance with only it's address on the door... You guessed it. It was number 86 something street. Hence if you were making a quick getaway, you 86ed it. They did show the doorway they were referring to but I can't remember if it still had the address on it. As with so many things, who knows if any of these stories are valid.

Great article by the way. smiley - cheers


86 it.

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Thanks smiley - biggrin And that's an interesting story. It's as plausible as any of the other theories smiley - smiley

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok


86 it.

Post 3

Mr. Cogito

The place in question is Chumley's, located on 86 Bedford Street in the West Village of New York. It does indeed have a front door and a side door which exits through the interior courtyard of the apartment building it is in. And it was a speakeasy back in the day. Whether or not this is the source of 86...


86 it.

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Thanks for the info Mr Cogito smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more