Join the Q: #My200BirdYear 2023 - The Results

1 Conversation

Join the Q logo.

Join the Q: #My200BirdYear 2023 - The Results

In 2018 I took part in Birdwatching Magazine's #My200BirdYear challenge and spotted 78 different species of birds in the wild. In 2019, I saw and photographed 97 birds. In 2020, my total was 83 birds in the year even with the coronavirus pandemic ongoing. In 2021 I saw and photographed 102 different species (only in my local area due to Covid restrictions). 2022 set another record for my list - 105 species seen and photographed. That set the challenge for 2023.

It again wasn't the easiest of birding years, as the weather was mixed, featuring both drought and floods. ! again missed out on seemingly common birds such as Song Thrush, and I saw a Redwing but didn't manage to take its photo as it zoomed past. My planned trip to Titchfield Haven took some organising, too - my first attempt was cancelled as I caught Covid, then the second attempt was cancelled due to flooding, but the third attempt was very successful - I added Goosander and Bearded Tits to my list for the first time. The final result was 105 bird species seen and photographed, equalling the previous year's record and also bringing my all-time list of photographed species up to 141.

Here are some of the highlights of my bird year 2023 - photographs of Goosander, Golden Plover, Little Grebe and Bullfinch.

Goosander - a sawbill duckGolden Plover - a wading bird with black and white front and golden-yellow back
Little Grebe - a diving duck with brown back and red headBullfinch - a perching bird with pale orange breast and black head

More photos can be found in my Birdwatching book on lulu.com

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

15.01.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88043015

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more