The h2g2 Post 12.06.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 12th June 2023

Montage of images from this week's issue: The words Wherever We go with the full moon in a blue sky, a round Dutch 'tiny house', the interior of the baroque Asamkirche, one-half of a fantasy mural, the words There We Are with a pigeon looking up at moon in a blue sky, a badger family eating at Websailor's garden feeding station, the other half of the mural with a fairy, and three Second World War fighter planes in a blue sky, photographed by our own  FWR.

Wherever we go, there we are. In the truest sense. Arthur Dent found that out. Wherever he went, there he was in his bathrobe trying to figure things out from his own rather wonky point of view. We're like that, too: wherever we go – halfway around the world or down to the corner – we take our own perspectives with us. We can't help it.

Have you noticed something about the h2g2 Post? If you're a long-time reader, you can look at a photo or story title and think, 'Ah, that's So-and-So. I recognise their take on things.' This is what we're talking about. We have individual styles. This is good. We're not a one-size-fits-all outfit. We are flexible.

Just now, physicist Sabine Hossenfelder is jumping up and down (okay, figuratively, but she's lots of fun and I like to imagine her doing this) telling people that you cannot communicate information over a distance at faster-than-light speeds. While my personal experience would seem to contradict this, who am I to argue with a physicist, especially considering how relieved my science professors were when I changed my major to languages1? Anyhow, we don't need to exceed any quantum speed limits. We're fine with the internet. We think, we write; we take photos; we make videos. And sooner or later, they end up here. And you see them. And you think back at us.

Isn't spacetime a marvelous thing?

And even though I know you haven't read this yet, in spite of Professor Dr Hossenfelder, I can hear you saying, 'Oh, shut up, Dmitri, and tell us what's in the issue!' I hear, and I obey.

We have:

  • Exciting bird videos! Tavaron will tell you things you did not know about blackbird parenting. I will show you a mugging routine by a bluejay that will make you laugh.
  • Other things that fly, including an arrow-marked babbler and some planes that seem to have flown in through a hole in the spacetime continuum. Also swans, swimming.
  • Some things that don't fly, including a large, angry bird. It may be angry because it is stuck in a tree in Scotland. Also badgers.
  • Weird, weird things: the outside of a round house. The inside of a really strange church. An amazing mural.
  • Beautiful things: Gardens are blooming. Feast your eyes upon floral splendour.
  • Fiction!!! I have a short story for you scifi nerds. Also, THREE of our ongoing novellas – you know, the ones that started last November? – are finishing in this week's issue. Get in on the series finales! The rest of us had trouble with our characters. They got too exuberant. It will take us longer to extricate them from their dilemmas. Tavaron says that if that one guy doesn't start answering questions, we'll be here forever. So go and read, already. FYI, the archive will be there forever, too – even if the internet gobbles it again, I'll just put it up, call me Sisyphus. So you can read the whole thing from start to finish.
  • Humour. We have definitive proof this week that these are jokes. Go and read what Bluebottle has drawn. I dare you not to laugh.
  • A movie review. In the interest of everybody's sanity beginning with my own, I looked this movie up to make sure it existed. Alas, it does, and double-alas, Awix is really enthusiastic about it. I am starting to think I need to find what Castaneda called 'the crack between the worlds,' as the only parallel universe I am interested in is one that doesn't have Spiderman Spider-Verses in it. PLEASE read this review: it is well-written and an impassioned plea for this sort of film. And PLEASE let the author know whether you would like to go and see this film or not. I need to know whether I should contact Sabine Hossenfelder about the possibilities of dimensional travel.

Read. Comment snarkily. Share with a few thousand of your closest friends. Come back next week for more. In the meantime, have a great week and enjoy the sunshine!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: [H]aving given a description of the iconic Vickers Machine Gun and its characteristics. Feeling satisfied with my explanation, I paused to take questions. A 9-year-old member of the group asked, "Why does the Vicar need a Machine Gun?"

– Mike Peters, historian, battlefield guide, and author
A Shih Tzu with a strategy.


June 2023 Post Challenge:
What Are Your Metaphor Memories?


Video Extra:
Clickety-Clack
Click here in Ripley


FROM A HEIGHT
Did Somebody Leave
the Time Portal Open?

Battle of the Atlantic Flypast, by FWR.

QUIET VOICES


WHAT PLANET ARE WE ON, ANYWAY?


Scottish Art

Half of a mural on Averon Road, by Paigetheoracle.


MEET THE NEIGHBOURS




Caption Challenge
Two blacktailed godwits talking, by SashaQ.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1They had fears involving breakage and fire hazard, mostly. Also because I claimed to have discovered the philosopher's stone when my two No-Doz tablets produced 10g of caffeine.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88028175

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more