Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 30

1 Conversation

Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 30

Renfrew the robot with a magnifying glass.

New Year's Eve found Sigismund and Lanny's family at the Tiger's Lady Restaurant, where the reservation was garbled once again. "This time we are a mystery writers' conventiion," he told Lanny at the door.

"Well, Dad, maybe that's your cue," Lanny said in a sunny tone. "I haven't been patient with you regarding your theories about Dorothy and Bambi and so forth. You really nailed that Orly case. Maybe you're a natural-born storyteller who should write down your ideas for other people to enjoy."

"It's funny you should say that," Sigismund said as Lavinia and the girls joined Lanny in the foyer, stomping their boots to get the snow off. "I'm writing a true-crime story about Orly. I will call it 'Renfrew's big case.'"

"Good ol' Renfrew," said Tintinella. "We'll find him a princess to marry. He was once a prince until a wicked witch turned him into an android. Only the kiss of a princess can break the spell."

"I think the Blue Fairy needs to touch him with her wand, and make him a real boy," Tamboria added.

"I think a princess named Tintinella Tamboria will be available someday," Sigismund teased.

"I see a princess coming our way," said Tintinella, pointing to a waitress carrying a tray of crab rangoon.

"Those are the best kind," said Lanny, licking his lips.

"What are the worst kind?" asked Sigismund as the hostess led them to their table and they made their selections from the menu.

"Green witches from the West, until some cyclone drops a house on them," Tamboria joked.

"If you need help with your writing, maybe Tintinella would like to collaborate," Lanny said.

"I may need her help," Sigismund admitted. "Renfrew still doesn't think he's a real detective. It was Melissa who led me to Bright Comet's office, and Curlew who thought to call the police on Marvella."

"Granddad, remember the night when you had all of us over for dinner?" Tamboria said. "I showed you my puppets and said they needed a cape for Princess Zassapoonia. Orly was at the door to show off the new bathmat that Marvella had just given him. It was just what we needed. He said we could have it after he had it washed. The next day he was dead."

"Say, I wonder why Orly would need to take any baths," Lanny said. "Androids may get rubbed down, but if they get too wet they rust."

"Yikes! I hadn't thought of that," Sigismund said.

"Maybe you could fudge things and have Renfrew realize it as soon as he finds out Orly is an android," said Lavinia. "Anyway, if you use Beatrice and Marvella, you might need to run things past Bright-Comet. She has a copyright on those characters."

The waitress had just arrived with their food. The reservations might have been garbled, but the food was quite good that night, and thoughts of mystery stories were put aside for the moment. Writers have to eat like anyone else. Sigismund ordered some foods that were said to enhance creativity – green tea, salmon, egg drop soup. He didn't say as much to Lanny, who thought he was already too creative....

THE END

Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Paulh

12.06.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88030631

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more