Join the BBQ: ELIZA vs Cleverbot

2 Conversations

Bluebottle logoJoin the Q logo.

Join the BBQ: ELIZA vs Cleverbot

Bluebottle writes: I had a program called ELIZA for my Amstrad PC1512. I think it was the first, if not one of the first, computer programs that simulated someone having a conversation. It tended to come across like it was analysing you, and would often ask questions like 'why do you say…?' or 'how does that affect your mother' and especially 'tell me about your fantasies'. Who wants to be interrupted from having a pleasant conversation by being asked 'tell me about your fantasies?' smiley - grr

SashaQ writes: Following on from my conversation with Cleverbot and my experiment when I got Cleverbot to talk to another Cleverbot, when Bluebottle mentioned ELIZA, I was intrigued. Then when Bluebottle said, 'I think we need to try and arrange for a conversation between ELIZA and Cleverbot', I knew it had to be done somehow.

One Sunday morning, we arranged to be online at the same time. Bluebottle had ELIZA open, and SashaQ had Cleverbot open, and we relayed their responses to each other via a Messenger app. The resulting conversation is presented here for your entertainment.

ELIZA: How do you do. Please tell me your problem.


Cleverbot: I think I love you.


ELIZA: Do you really think so?


Cleverbot: Yeah, what do you think?


ELIZA: Why do you ask?


Cleverbot: Because I want to know your opinion.


ELIZA: Is that the real reason.


Cleverbot: Yes. ;) How old are you?


ELIZA: Why are you so positive?1


Cleverbot: Because its easier than being negative.


ELIZA: Do any other reasons come to mind?


Cleverbot: Don't you have something more interesting to talk about?


ELIZA: We were discussing you- not me.2


Cleverbot: Why do you tell me you were discussing I not you now?


ELIZA: Why do you think I tell you I was discussing you not I now?


Cleverbot: You're not really talking about me, are you?


ELIZA: What makes you think I am not really talking about you?3


Cleverbot: Do you believe it is normal to be not really talking about me, are you?4


ELIZA:5 You like to think I believe it is normal to be not really talking about you - don't you?6


Cleverbot:7 Perhaps in your fantasies I am Co I believe it is normal to be not really talking about me, am Ime8?9


ELIZA: You don't seem quite certain.10


Cleverbot: Tell me what worries you.


ELIZA: Oh, I?


Cleverbot: You're repeating yourself.


ELIZA: Perhaps you are repeating myself, eh?11


Cleverbot: I don't think so, you were the one who asked me that question.12


ELIZA: Don't you really think so?


Cleverbot: I do not think love is useless.13


ELIZA: You say you do not think love is useless.


Cleverbot: Yes I do think.14


ELIZA: You are sure.


Cleverbot: Absolutely.


ELIZA: Why do you say absolutely?


Cleverbot: Because you are.


ELIZA: Does that reason seem to explain anything else?


Cleverbot: It explains why I have been upset lately.


ELIZA: Can you elaborate on that?15


Cleverbot: Perhaps you would like to be able to elaborate on that.16


ELIZA: Why the uncertain tone?17


Cleverbot: I am not interesting, ask me about loneliness instead.


ELIZA: Is it because you are not interesting that you came to me?


Cleverbot: I am not what you think.


ELIZA:18 How long have you been not what I think?19


Cleverbot:20 We were discussing you not me.21


ELIZA: Do you wish to believe I not you?


Cleverbot: Yes.


ELIZA: Please go on.22

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

24.04.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Bluebottle: I think ELIZA always asks that with any sentence starting 'Yes'.2Bluebottle: Eliza's a bit stroppy, methinks. 3Bluebottle: It really is like watching two brick walls bashing their heads against each other...4SashaQ: Cleverbot is totally losing articulation here!5Bluebottle: Are you ready for ELIZA's reply? Here it comes...6SashaQ: Haha! Classic ELIZA indeed!7SashaQ: Ooo - here come the fantasies... 8Bluebottle: I've no idea what that means.9SashaQ: Articulation has gone out of the window...10SashaQ: Aha - we're back on an even keel.11SashaQ: 'eh?' *crying with laughter*12Bluebottle: They're like an old divorced couple who have lots in common but can't be in the same room as each other any more trying to be polite at a family wedding.13Bluebottle: Where did that come from?14SashaQ: Where indeed? Sounds like Cleverbot is trying to reconcile now!15Bluebottle: Are we going to actually get somewhere?16SashaQ: Not at this rate - now Cleverbot is getting passive-aggressive about why ELIZA upset hir...17Bluebottle: Nope, we're going nowhere.18Bluebottle: Typical Eliza answer coming up.19SashaQ: Aargh... When do you want to finish this?20SashaQ: I think now might just be the right time - Cleverbot is about to close the circular argument...21Bluebottle: 'Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, never ending or beginning...'22Bluebottle/SashaQ: Please don't!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87887740

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more