The h2g2 Post 14.12.15

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 14th December 2015

Pa-Rum-Pa-Pum-Pum...

A drummer guards the print shop these days. To quote my least favourite Christmas carol. If I were the Virgin Mary's babysitter, I'd throw that drum-wielding kid right out of the stable on his ear, I would: everybody knows you're supposed to be quiet and not wake the baby. Hmpf. What are these carol writers thinking? It's like KB said in his journal:
The first thing to remember if you want to write a Christmas song is that you must be prepared to suspend any lyrical ability. Aim for Eurovision standard, and then make it a bit worse.

Thanks for that advice, KB. Well, we've all got our favourites: maybe you like that evil drummer boy. Or maybe, just maybe, you'll find one of your favourites in this issue of the h2g2 Post. Because the Create contributors are going all out on this month's challenge: Minorvogonpoet's remembering what carollers are good for, Bluebottle's counting up the cover songs, our quiz will have you scrambling to sort them all out, and the Pogues are even hiding in here somewhere. And if that's not enough for you, Tavaron will tell you how to sing your way through the apocalypse (although technically speaking, that's the Second Coming…) So you won't want for music in this week's issue. Magwitch will tell you how to outwit polar bears and evil spirits, and the carols are still on the socialist side, so you won't want for spiritual guidance, either.

We've also got film. And a weird conversation with some fictional people, courtesy of Paulh. And a snoring cat. And a zebra. Who isn't snoring, just adding to the décor.

You people should be glad you have a Scots Irish Editor. You really should. You see, we're congenital workaholics, even at holiday time. So the fact that more exciting Stuff is coming in, all at once, in the weeks before Christmas…? Just makes me grin in satisfaction. Bring 'em on! The photos, the songs, the stories…what you're hoping for under the tree, what you got under the tree, why you refuse to sacrifice innocent vegetable matter to the Solstice, whatever…send it all in. We'll get out the shoehorn if need be. And next week, sharpen your pencils, because there'll be a crossword.

Who says there's no Santa Claus? (Okay, it might be Hogfather. Or the Great Green Arkleseizure.) Have a great week, and keep on singing!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

WILDLIFE (FROM THE MOUNTAINS TO THE COVERLET)
  • Mountain Zebra by Willem.
  • Twinky's Thanksgiving nap.

THAN LONGEN FOLK TO GOON ON (DECEMBRE) PILGRIMAGES

RAISING CONSCIOUSNESS(ES?)

  • An angel and a volume of Marx.

REPORTS FROM ALL OVER

WHO'S WRITING WHAT?
  • Create December Challenge: NaJoPoMo.
  • Peggy Seeger.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87863368

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more