A Conversation for Freemasonry - a Question and Answer Session

Strange bedfellows...

Post 1

Hoovooloo

Good article. Doesn't make me want to join, but tells me some stuff I didn't know, which is all one can ask...

Couldn't help noticing this paragraph though...

"There is a pretty virulent strain of anti-Masonic material being put about by some fundamentalist Christian groups, largely in the US. The material I have read is ill-informed, deliberately twists facts and takes quotations out of context to pursue a highly prejudiced agenda. It uses, in some cases, well known hoaxes and peddles myths without any substantiation. If you want facts about Freemasonry, read material written by real historians to academic standards."

Now, I'm going to repeat that paragraph, and I'm going to change just THREE words.

"There is a pretty virulent strain of anti-evolution material being put about by some fundamentalist Christian groups, largely in the US. The material I have read is ill-informed, deliberately twists facts and takes quotations out of context to pursue a highly prejudiced agenda. It uses, in some cases, well known hoaxes and peddles myths without any substantiation. If you want facts about evolution, read material written by real biologists to academic standards."

Do you see what I did there? Weird, isn't it? Fundies don't even seem to be able to come up with an even SLIGHTLY different approach to trashing something...

H.


Strange bedfellows...

Post 2

gareis

*sigh* Don't be a troll. I barely stopped myself from flaming you, though in a calm, cool* way.


~Gareis

*Referring metaphorically to temperature, not used as a synonym for "hoopy".


Strange bedfellows...

Post 3

Azara

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

'*sigh* Don't be a troll. I barely stopped myself from flaming you, though in a calm, cool* way.'

Gareis, is that really your first post to a conversation on h2g2? It seems just a little early in your career here for world-weary sighing smiley - winkeye

Azara
smiley - rose


Strange bedfellows...

Post 4

Decaf Silicon

Count me as weltschmerz-ridden enough to deserve a sigh -- the Christian political lobbyists do not represent the whole of Christianity, just as the disproportionate number of powerful Masons do not imply a secret society of illuminati, and just as the post-modernist thinkers do not force all evolutionists to follow the philosophical path to total relativism.

I think I misspelled weltschmerz, but I don't believe in proofreading past 2 a.m. 's against my high principle of laziness.


Strange bedfellows...

Post 5

Hoovooloo

211752, or can I call you 2?

"I barely stopped myself from flaming you"

Don't restrain yourself on my account kiddo. If you'd been here for more than nine hours you'd know that calm, cool flames are my sustenance.

H.


Strange bedfellows...

Post 6

FrancisAlbertCorneilius

anyway hoo didnt say anything about christians just "fundies" and if you want to come on here defending U.S. fundamental christianity then good luck but you might have more than just one person to burn.
what is the point of christians now noone keeps lions anymore


Strange bedfellows...

Post 7

BertramWooster

On the subject of fundamentalists I can say that I have been exposed to anti mason sentiment, from my religious sister, and I don't even know why! I'm not a mason, never talked about it or anything when my sister spontaneously went on a huge tirade about the evils of satanic masonic orders. Yes, she does get a bit dramatic. She just wanted to share something she'd recently "learned" from a satelite bible study group not strictly affiliated with her church. Real grass roots wierdness if you ask me. Just wanted to emphasise that mason's aren't being paranoid: they are percieved by some as suspicious, if not down right evil.
Good luck with shaking that.
Yours,
B Wooster.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more