A Conversation for The Grim Reaper

Sin Eater

Post 1

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Just a little off topic, do you know anything the old Welsh (and Irish I believe) practice of the sin eater? He went about to wakes and ate food off the corpse to take on the deceased's sins. His son was supposed to do the same for him and take on the family business. Needless to say the accumulated sin made that part very important!

Very interesting and thought provoking piece, thank you.


Sin Eater

Post 2

The Dali Llama

I had not known that the custom originaed in Wales/Ireland. I had heard of t as an Appalachian custom. Of course, there were many immigrants of assorted Celtic stocks who wound up in Appalachia.
So the sin-eaters family must have enourmous sins to carry after a few generations, what happens if he doesn't have a son?


Sin Eater

Post 3

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I understand he is hell-bound to suffer the consequences. An interesting career choice to make consciously.smiley - erm


Sin Eater

Post 4

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

Have you read the extremely grim story about the sin-eater?


Sin Eater

Post 5

clzoomer- a bit woobly

No, please tell me.smiley - smiley


Sin Eater

Post 6

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

It is 'The Sins of the Fathers', by Christianna Brand...

a man is sent over the mountains to collect the sin-eater, but he is gravely ill. His wife sends her son instead- they are starving- and instructs him not to eat the food but conceal it and bring it back, which he does. After he gives the food to Mam, she reveals his father has died but ne'ermind, there's a glorious feast prepared for him...

nyurgh!


Sin Eater

Post 7

Saturnine

smiley - cool


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more