A Conversation for How to Season a Wok

Alternative method for seasoning a wok...

Post 1

Calamarain

An alternative method for seasoning a carbon steel wok after accidentally washing it in a dishwasher or the use of any detergent is as follows:-

1). Pour a teaspoon of cooking oil, not olive oil, into the wok and use a piece of paper towel to wipe it around the cooking surface.
If oil pools at the bottom wipe it off, leaving a thin film.

2). Place the wok onto your cooker/stove/open fire (I prefer my electric hob) and heat at the highest setting until the oil starts to smoke. The base of the wok will start to turn yellow through to brown. It may be necessary to counteract the weight of the handle by lifting it slightly so that the base of your wok is flush with the heat source. If only one corner of the base is changing colour, you will need to compensate for the handle a little.

3). After the base has turned a light brown, remove it from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Wipe off any residual oil using some paper towel.

The above three steps should be repeated another few times. After 3 repetitions, your wok should be well enough seasoned to prevent food sticking. By always cooking using a high heat and almost smoking oil, your wok will retain it's dark coating.

(This procedure was found on the packaging of a carbon steel wok)


Key: Complain about this post

Alternative method for seasoning a wok...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more