A Conversation for 'Mardy' - A Wonderful Word

"See what BBCi has to say about the word 'mardy'"

Post 1

Martin Harper

And the answer is nothing. Three links. One has a grand total of eleven words in it. One is totally irrelevant. And there's a single example from 'EastEnders' where the word is used once. I've seen some pretty useless 'related' BBC links before now, but that one has to top the list in terms of overwhelming pointlessness.

Handy Hint: if you're too busy to find unrelated stuff on BBCi to cross-promote, *don't bother*. Nobody will care. Heck, we might even welcome a break from the advertising...

-Xanthia


"See what BBCi has to say about the word 'mardy'"

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

These new links have been created so that if and when something *does* appear on that subject, we'll already be linked to it via the dynamic link. Forward thinking.

Jimster


"See what BBCi has to say about the word 'mardy'"

Post 3

Martin Harper

The relevant word in that sentence is "if". Let's face it, the BBC suddenly becoming a world class resource on etymology is unlikely. In the meantime you have what is effectively a broken link on an edited entry.

There's an update process being worked out at the moment. That process will be able to add any relevant BBCi links that appear, and (crucially) it'll be able to do quality control so that only genuinely relevant and useful links get added. In the meantime, this link doesn't add any value to this entry, and it shouldn't be there.

Whose bright idea was it to add these 'dynamic' links, anyway?


"See what BBCi has to say about the word 'mardy'"

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster


Thanks for your input, Lucinda.




"See what BBCi has to say about the word 'mardy'"

Post 5

Martin Harper

A pleasure smiley - smiley


"See what BBCi has to say about the word 'mardy'"

Post 6

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

Nearly a year on... and there are, believe it or not, still only 3 links:

CBBC Newsround 'What's your favourite buzz word' - although one of the other conversation threads here may dispute the exact meaning given of 'Mardy means when someone is grumpy and in a bad mood!', it's interesting to note that the person posting this came from Leicester.

BBC Sport - yes, it's Mardy Fish playing in Nottingham (why aren't there any mentions of him playing at Wimbledon in this search, I wonder...)

Talking Point - the name of a contributor to a posting about mobile phone crime.

I have to agree with much of Lucinda's points, (assuming either of you are still subscribed to this discussion) and although I'm generally more mild-mannered than a campaigner, I have to say there's still no point in having this so-called dynamic link, (or at least the search terms need to be refined) and it's enough to make one join the Zaphodistas....

But hey, well done for listening to reasoned debate.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more