A Conversation for 'Mardy' - A Wonderful Word

Mardy, the dialect word.

Post 1

Oakleaf

I first heard ''Mardy'' or ''Mard'' when my son came home from Mountain Biking, and said that his friend ''had been in a right Mard'' and I asked for a meaning of the word. Son said it meant ''fed up'' or ''moany'' and I thought at first it was a Welsh word, as the Welsh town Maerdy is not far from Bristol.
Mardy is a great word, and a young child that grizzles a lot was termed ''Mardy Martha'',which sums up the grizzly, whiny way of children who grind on just for the sake of it, hour after hour. A form of noisy sulking,[ if that is possible].
Mardy definitely doesn't mean ''Naughty'', and ''Angry'' is too strong a word to describe it, but ''whiny petulance'' sums it up perfectly.
Adults can be Mardy, of both sexes.
Evidently it is a dialect word, hailing from the Midlands, and Staffordshire,which makes sense, as the first person I know who uses it regularly has aMidlands/Yorkshire Wife.
the word is so useful, and is spreading in Bristol.


Mardy, the dialect word.

Post 2

Vip

It's a great word, isn't it. smiley - biggrin

Thanks for contributing, Oakleaf, and welcome to h2g2!

smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post

Mardy, the dialect word.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more