A Conversation for One-hit Wonders

Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 1

The Ghost of Polidari

Sorry, couldn't let this thread go without mentioning Clive.

Number one hit with Grandad.

No other chart singles (as far as I can remember).

Oooh, and I'm going to have to mention Windsor Davies and Don Estelle for their number one 'Whispering Grass'. From the album 'Sing Lofty' (my mum had it smiley - laugh).

And I suppose Cliff Richard and The Young Ones deserves a mention (and yes, I don realise that Cliff had one or two other hits without the Young Ones, but I still think it counts).

And Alexie Sayle with his number 10 hit 'Hullo John, got a new motor'.

And what about Marvin (Stephen Moore) who managed to chart just the once...

And didn't the Red Dwarf cast chart with Tongue Tied?

And Dennis Waterman and George Cole also charted once as a duet with 'What am I gonna get for 'er indoors' or somethig similar...

I appear to be on a role. I'll try and get off it soon.

And Neil from the Young Ones charted (and got to number 2, I think) with Hole In My Shoe (Nigel Planer, of course).

Trying to think how many chart hits Spinal Tap had - think they charted more than once. As did Bad News.


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 2

Natalie

Hmm you've got me thinking now...never a good thing!

Of course there was Benny Hill's number one 'Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West). I also seem to remember Rory Bremner doing a regrettable parody of Paul Hardcastle's '19' called '19 Not Out.'


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 3

Danny B

Spitting Image with the 'Chicken Song'...


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 4

The Ghost of Polidari

Natalie - afraid to say already managed to mention 19 Not Out - it was the very first response on One Hit Wonders!!

Didn't Spitting Image manage to come up with a couple of other singles as well? I seem to remember one about Father Christmas...?? Didn't do anywhere near as well though...

I seem to remember one of the Not The Nine O'Clock News songs being released too. Maybe it was 'Nice video, shame about the song' or something. I've still got a copy of the Hedgehog Sandwich album about somewhere.

And of course there was Jasper Carrot with Funky Moped (which everyone bought for the Magic Roundabout sketch on the B side).

And Billy Connolly with D.I.V.O.R.C.E if memory serves...


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 5

Natalie

Yes!

And who could forget 'Star Trekkin''? (Number one in about 1988?) By...?


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 6

Danny B

Billy Connolly's D.I.V.O.R.C.E was a parody of a Dolly Parton song of the same name, if I remember rightly...


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 7

The Ghost of Polidari

Star Trekkin was by The Firm.

And yes, I've got a copy of that at home too...


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 8

Danny B

Star Trekkin was by The Firm


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 9

Danny B

smiley - laugh

This isn't the quiz you know, Polidari!


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 10

The Ghost of Polidari

And Peter Sellers and Sophie Loren had a hit with Goodness Gracious Me - did that chart???? It was (liberally) taken from The Millionairess.

Though I think Peter Sellers had a couple of other chart entries by himself too...


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 11

The Ghost of Polidari

Sorry Danny!

Getting carried away...

(Or should be smiley - biggrin)


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 12

Danny B

And speaking of carrying things away (or, at least, trying to), how about 'Right Said Fred' by Bernard Cribbins. Which inspired the name of the band Right Said Fred, who probably don't quite count as a one-hit wonder.


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 13

The Ghost of Polidari

Didn't Bernard Cribbons also do Hole In The Road (or whatever it was called) as well, though?

There I was Digging This Hole
Hole in the Ground
So big and kind of round it was...

Right Said Fred had three or four top 3 hits so wouldn't count...


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 14

Danny B

Ah yes - and along came a chap in a bowler hat... Darnit.


Clive Dunn and other comedy stars...!

Post 15

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Bad News have only had one hit, their tasteful version of "Bohemian Rhapsody". Spinal Tap, however, have had two: "Bitch School" and "The Majesty Of Rock". smiley - cool


Key: Complain about this post