A Conversation for One-hit Wonders

Eurovision

Post 1

Trout Montague

Always a good source of OHWs

1. Bardot (featuring Sally Ann Triplet) - must've been the year after Bucks Fizz.

2. Nena - ninety nine red balloons.

erm ... (stuck)


Eurovision

Post 2

Danny B

I wonder if the 'Brotherhood of Man' had any other hits apart from the Eurovision 'Save Your Kisses for Me'?

Or Johnny Logan, who won it for Ireland one year. His song may have been a minor hit in the UK (can't remember - don't really want to smiley - winkeye)

Dana - 'All Kinds of Everything'. She became sort-of famous (ie, pantomime-famous), but I don't know whether she had any other hit singles.

Katrina and the Waves - 'Walking on Sunshine'

I'm going to stop now before I embarrass myself further...


Eurovision

Post 3

Danny B

Nothing to do with Eurovision, but talking of Katrina and the Waves just reminded me of Martha and the Muffins with 'Echo Beach'.


Eurovision

Post 4

Trout Montague

Johnny Logan can't be included - he won it twice!


Eurovision

Post 5

Danny B

Now there's a claim to fame smiley - bigeyes

But does winning Eurovision count as having a 'hit' if the song doesn't make it into the charts afterwards..?


Eurovision

Post 6

Natalie

Brotherhood of Man did indeed have hits beyond 'Save Your Kisses for Me,' most memorably 'Angelo' which sounded absolutely nothing like 'Fernando' by Abba. They also had a hit called 'United We Stand,' but I think that may have been pre-Eurovision.

However, I am more or less certain that Nicole ('A Little Peace' - 1982?) didn't come up with anything else. Which is a crying shame.


Eurovision

Post 7

Natalie

And I wonder what did happen to Sally Ann Triplet?! Well remembered!

Nena weren't Eurovision folk though, oddly.


Eurovision

Post 8

Danny B

Ah yes, Angelo...

"High on a mountain in Mexico
Lived a young shepherd-boy Angelo
He knew a girl and he loved her so..."

How could I have forgotten... smiley - winkeye


Eurovision

Post 9

Smij - Formerly Jimster

One step further and I could have been there
You could have turned around and hit me and I wouldn't have cared
All this time I didn't get anywheeeeeeeere
I could have taken one step further and I would have been theeeeere.


Ah, Bardot!

Johnny Logan doesn't qualify though, as he also had (ulp) 'Hold Me Now'.

Eurovision is ripe for the picking though.


Eurovision

Post 10

The Ghost of Polidari

And you can't have Katrina and the Waves as Walking On Sunshine wasn't her Eurovision winning song - can't remember the title but it also got pretty high in the charts (maybe even number 1?).


Eurovision

Post 11

The Ghost of Polidari

Ooh - and what was that rap song we entered about 6 or 7 years ago that wasn't actually too bad but came about 7th...??


Eurovision

Post 12

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

That would have been 'Love Shine a Light'-

As in "Love shine a light in every corner of the world, let the love light Kerry" etc.

Sorry. I'll go now smiley - blush

smiley - ale


Eurovision

Post 13

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

That wsas in answer to the question about Katrina and the Waves, btw.

smiley - ale


Eurovision

Post 14

Trout Montague

"... And I wonder what did happen to Sally Ann Triplet?!"

Well, I know where she didn't end up. Unfortunately!


Eurovision

Post 15

Trout Montague

The Angelo thing.

Didn't the Barron Knights do a 'parody'(? - sorry I have forgotten my 7 tenets of humour already)?

It was like...

Sam and Jo
Met in a Chip Shop in Walthamstow

and later

He was keen
Drove down the High Street like Barry Sheene

etc.


Eurovision

Post 16

Smij - Formerly Jimster

The rap one would have been Love City Groove with, um, 'Love City Groove'.


Eurovision

Post 17

jasegroom

Did Gina G have any hits other than "Just a Little Bit"?


Eurovision

Post 18

The Ghost of Polidari

I beleive she did chart again, but the songs were all exactly the same so not surprised we can't remember what they're called...


Key: Complain about this post